News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Yeah, Christmas lights are up in the cities here too. That's ok I guess.

We live in the countryside and traditionally light up our garden decorations on my wife's birthday, the 18th. The tree traditionally comes in on the 23rd, but our youngest has her birthday then so we take it in a day or so earlier.

Of course the advent chandeliers (I don't know what they're properly called) and the stars are put up on the first Advent weekend.

The tree with the christmas decorations is traditionally taken out on Jan 13th.

We, very locally, traditionally celebrate small Christmas on Candlemas and after that the garden decorations are taken down.

Tamas

Quote from: Threviel on November 12, 2020, 06:29:13 AM
Advent is the time for advent decorations, christmas is the time for christmas decorations and christmas begins on Dec 24th.

So the christmas tree ought not be put up until, at the earliest, the week before christmas.

Yeah in this first Christmas in Britain of ours, we'll stick with continental traditions and set up our tiny (probably artificial :P ) tree on the 24th.

I was thinking of adopting the native customs, but not yet. This pandemic-forced absence from my family is hitting me a bit hard, so I'll be staying with traditions of the old country for this one.

Grey Fox

My lights are installed & on. It's early but it was 20C! over the weekend. Christmas tree will probably go up on the weekend following US Thanksgiving, as usual.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2020, 07:32:32 AM
Advent is the time for advent decorations, christmas is the time for christmas decorations and christmas begins on Dec 24th.

So the christmas tree ought not be put up until, at the earliest, the week before christmas.

Yeah in this first Christmas in Britain of ours, we'll stick with continental traditions and set up our tiny (probably artificial :P ) tree on the 24th.

I was thinking of adopting the native customs, but not yet. This pandemic-forced absence from my family is hitting me a bit hard, so I'll be staying with traditions of the old country for this one.
Are Hungary and Poland the same?

Seems it'll be a little complex with my partner given they usually do their main christmassy stuff and presents on christmas eve, but this is something that can be solved. I'd hate to imagine how British/Dutch families manage to meld the two.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2020, 09:04:51 AM
My lights are installed & on. It's early but it was 20C! over the weekend. Christmas tree will probably go up on the weekend following US Thanksgiving, as usual.
We already have two Christmas trees up. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2020, 09:13:35 AM
I remember speaking to someone about Polish traditions and I think it's like carp is the big food centre-piece and I seem to remember they have 12 salads.

QuoteSeems it'll be a little complex with my partner given they usually do their main christmassy stuff and presents on christmas eve, but this is something that can be solved. I'd hate to imagine how British/Dutch families manage to meld the two.
:lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

It's more and more becoming the tradition here to put up the tree earlier and earlier, and have it removed by new years eve.

Josquius

Ah yeah, food.... My partner's family's Christmas dinner is traditionally... Pasta and polpettes....
Its funny but in Switzerland they don't seem to have a 'traditional' christmas dinner. The most common I hear of Chinese fondue...which is apparently just their word for nabe/Chinese hot pot. :blink:
Christmas without turkey is....just depressing.

I did introduce christmas crackers to her two years ago and they went down well.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Threviel on November 12, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
It's more and more becoming the tradition here to put up the tree earlier and earlier, and have it removed by new years eve.
Here it goes up on 1 December to Epiphany/6 January/Twelfth Night.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

By international law, Christmas Trees must remain up through my birthday, January 7th.  This law was passed when I was young to remind me that I got less presents having been born 13 days after Christmas.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: PDH on November 12, 2020, 09:28:47 AM
By international law, Christmas Trees must remain up through my birthday, January 7th.  This law was passed when I was young to remind me that I got less presents having been born 13 days after Christmas.
:lol: :console:

My birthday is January 19th which is just far enough from Christmas (and in the most depressing phase of the year) that it's always been separate from Christmas.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2020, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2020, 09:04:51 AM
We already have two Christmas trees up. :blush:

2 out of 7?

You have a giant mansion, you don't have to stare at them all the time I figure. ;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2020, 06:17:18 AM
So given lockdown and everything's quite grim and boring....is it too soon to put up Christmas decorations/get a Christmas tree? :ph34r:

Mrs. CC is a huge fan of Christmas decorations.  But normally she waits until after Remembrance Day before thinking about decorating.  This year the lights went up two weeks ago....

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on November 12, 2020, 09:28:47 AM

At least you got presents - try December 30th you ingrate.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2020, 09:13:35 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2020, 07:32:32 AM

Seems it'll be a little complex with my partner given they usually do their main christmassy stuff and presents on christmas eve, but this is something that can be solved. I'd hate to imagine how British/Dutch families manage to meld the two.

Yeah it's pretty much the same. Hungarians are not that big on eating fish but no other real difference. Tree-raising at or very close to the 24th, gifts on eve of 24th, various family visits and feasting on the 25th and 26th.