News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 13, 2020, 03:53:24 PM
Something positive from Tyr about french. Quick, every one buy a lottery ticket.

:lol:

À l'école d'Avignon, on y lance, on y lance
À l'école d'Avignon, on y lance les rejetons

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 14, 2020, 06:26:43 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 13, 2020, 03:53:24 PM
Something positive from Tyr about french. Quick, every one buy a lottery ticket.

:lol:

À l'école d'Avignon, on y lance, on y lance
À l'école d'Avignon, on y lance les rejetons

:D

Tamas

Either a war has broken out on the island, or some people nearby are exhausting a massive supply of fireworks.

Tamas

Tim Stone's purging from RPS over him being behind on what's acceptable to debate on gender fluidity and what isn't and the resulting mention of a Cyberpunk-related article reminded me of one of my puzzlements over this topic:

How can somebody simultaneously argue for the total elimination of all male-female distinction by physical or behavioural attributes (body, voice, clothing etc), as well as the importance of gender identity. If these attributes don't matter then what exact gender somebody is does not matter either (which I agree with). If somebody feels they must change genders to become/properly express themselves, then they attribute a profound meaning to the societal/physical gender differences, don't they? If they didn't, they wouldn't care.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2020, 04:25:28 PM
How can somebody simultaneously argue for the total elimination of all male-female distinction by physical or behavioural attributes (body, voice, clothing etc), as well as the importance of gender identity. If these attributes don't matter then what exact gender somebody is does not matter either (which I agree with). If somebody feels they must change genders to become/properly express themselves, then they attribute a profound meaning to the societal/physical gender differences, don't they? If they didn't, they wouldn't care.

But the current woke consensus doesn't ask for the elimination of male-female distinction.  Instead under intersectionality those differences become all consuming.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2020, 05:06:11 PM

But the current woke consensus doesn't ask for the elimination of male-female distinction.  Instead under intersectionality those differences become all consuming.

That's my impression as well but on the other hand, you cannot define any attribute as identifying one gender because that is not inclusive.

crazy canuck

You have never sounded more like an old out of touch conservative.

crazy canuck

Tim Stone's purging from RPS over him being behind on what's acceptable to debate on gender fluidity and what isn't and the resulting mention of a Cyberpunk-related article reminded me of one of my puzzlements over this topic:

Less about that and more about him being critical of his employer on a public forum I would think.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2020, 05:32:17 PM

You have never sounded more like an old out of touch conservative.

Sure he has.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Great argument.

I realise I must be like those people in the 60s who could not stomach guys with long hair, but I can't help it if I cannot understand the thought process behind something, so I am with BB on this.

Josquius

I guess it's that in an ideal world nobody would give a shit whether you're male, female or whatever, and you could present however you wanted; but in the real world as it exists today there very definitely is the culturally constructed strict binary and it sucks if your genitalia force you onto the wrong side of that?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2020, 06:12:22 AM
I guess it's that in an ideal world nobody would give a shit whether you're male, female or whatever, and you could present however you wanted; but in the real world as it exists today there very definitely is the culturally constructed strict binary and it sucks if your genitalia force you onto the wrong side of that?

Of course but when there seems to be pressure to accommodate various NEW designations as sources of identity to account for alleged gender nuances, that works against equality, not for it. Or just to keep it simpler, you cannot expect to remove distinctions between male and female while emphasising the importance of "presenting" one or the other and society's respect for that. How are you even "presenting" a gender if there are no attributes that can be flagged as representing a gender?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2020, 06:12:22 AM

I hear that!  My genitalia forces me into all sorts of weird places.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I wondered what happened to him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017