News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

As I've mentioned before there's a Raoul Wallenberg monument in Stockholm that's known locally as "The Turds".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

And here I thought the liquid-metal Terminator thing was played out.

celedhring

Yeah, hideous pretentiousness is a pretty universal trait of modern public statuary. The current wave of Covid victim memorials sweeping through Spain threatens to be deadlier than the actual virus.

Syt

Interesting to see the rural depopulation.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Huh, so Frances main city used to be angers? (seems to be where the big red blob out west is)
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2020, 05:54:32 AM
Huh, so Frances main city used to be angers? (seems to be where the big red blob out west is)

According to this (http://demographia.com/dm-par90.htm), Paris had a population of 2 million people in 1876, and a density of 19,000 people/km2. Most probably the map scale (which caps at 300 people/km2) isn't capturing the actual population density difference between these large red blots around Angiers and the tiny red blots in Île-de-France.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2020, 04:09:26 AM
Yeah, hideous pretentiousness is a pretty universal trait of modern public statuary. The current wave of Covid victim memorials sweeping through Spain threatens to be deadlier than the actual virus.
:ph34r:

So an art critic has weighed in. Apparently the metal shape at the bottom evokes the shape of Bernini's Apollo and Daphne. So this "everywoman" emerges from classical art's history of representing abuse and rape of women. And it's technically called a "Statue to Mary Wollstonecraft".

I think there's a good idea there - I'm not sure it's actually done well enough to bear its explanation :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I guess it's "everywoman" if we exclude, e.g. Asians? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2020, 06:47:15 AM
I guess it's "everywoman" if we exclude, e.g. Asians? :P
That's one angle.

I've actually seen a lot more women getting annoyed that this representation of "everywoman" has perfect babycham glass tits, not an ounce of cellulite and no fat whatsoever on her belly :lol:

Like lots of "everywoman" depictions it's quite a narrow one :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

New Dutch advertising law to include social media and youtube, no more product placement unless following strict guidelines.
Suck it, influencers  :yeah:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on November 11, 2020, 09:24:45 AM
New Dutch advertising law to include social media and youtube, no more product placement unless following strict guidelines.
Suck it, influencers  :yeah:

:cool:

Progress.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!