And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 04:05:32 PM
Cheddar is awesome.
There's a reason every other cheese is cheddar.

I do like good cheddar very much, but I don't remember ever seeing cheddar outside of the UK.  "every other cheese is cheddar" is a UK thing :P

Duque de Bragança

I do recall seeing sometimes Farmhouse Cheddar in Paris, mostly in fromageries (specialized shops) so not your average supermarkets.

celedhring

Cheddar is very popular in the US, too.

In Spain not so much, but it's readily available in supermarkets.

garbon

Yes cheddar is a key cheese in the US/my key cheese. Though without snobbery, basic cheddar in America doesn't hold a candle to basic cheddar in the UK. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 07, 2020, 01:58:55 AM
Cheddar is a very easy cheese to look after and keeps well, in fact the older the better. Tragically this has led to its debasement  :( . The next time you are in the UK we must arrange a cheese tasting session; I will bring some of the cheddars available from my local supermarket. They are fantastic, they are also 3 or 4 times the price of the industrial stuff of course, hence the problem.

:thumbsup:

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2020, 06:55:26 AM
Yes cheddar is a key cheese in the US/my key cheese. Though without snobbery, basic cheddar in America doesn't hold a candle to basic cheddar in the UK. -_-
I mean there is basic rubbery cheddar in UK supermarkets which is fine for sandwiches (it's kind of Proustian of school lunch actually). But there is good stuff too. Sad that the ROTW (or at least North America) mainly gets the rubbery stuff :(
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2020, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2020, 06:55:26 AM
I mean there is basic rubbery cheddar in UK supermarkets which is fine for sandwiches (it's kind of Proustian of school lunch actually). But there is good stuff too. Sad that the ROTW (or at least North America) mainly gets the rubbery stuff :(

The American basic is worse than the UK basic. :secret:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

You get the orange Kerrygold cheddar here, which is good for Hamburgers. Not sure if I've seen cheddar as a real piece instead of slices here ever...

Sheilbh

Wow :o

That's probably a sign your plastic chees is better. I feel like ours fall foul of one of those European labelling rules so they're called things like "Cheese-flavoured slices" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

There are some decent supermarket cheddars, at least out west.  Tillamook makes decent cheddar, and a quite reasonable aged cheddar.  Along the coast of California and Oregon there are hosts of small cheese making outfits that really are damn good.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2020, 11:26:49 AM
You get the orange Kerrygold cheddar here, which is good for Hamburgers. Not sure if I've seen cheddar as a real piece instead of slices here ever...

We do get small blocks of orange Irish cheddar at the supermarkets here, wrapped in cling wrap. It's quite nice, actually.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

You can buy some amazing locally-made cheddars at farmers markets around here, but mostly we get the mass-produced stuff (which is fine by the way, I'm not a cheese snob).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2020, 11:57:26 AM
You can buy some amazing locally-made cheddars at farmers markets around here, but mostly we get the mass-produced stuff (which is fine by the way, I'm not a cheese snob).

No snobbery required. Just taste buds.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2020, 11:52:33 AM
Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2020, 11:26:49 AM

We do get small blocks of orange Irish cheddar at the supermarkets here, wrapped in cling wrap. It's quite nice, actually.
I like the Kerrygold cheddar as well and buy it occasionally. 

Caliga

I didn't know Kerrygold made cheese.  I've only ever seen their butter here (which is the butter I use for basically everything except for baking where you wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points