News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

German Ocean/Sea for the North Sea is new to me, never saw that in German, however it seems to have existed as a name historically. That said, in German the South-Eastern corner of the North Sea is called "German Bight".

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2020, 07:01:37 AM
Five oceans? Kids these days... Back in the good ole times there was only one true ocean. Then it got divvied up for no reason  :mad:

The Red Sea is a lie.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I mean, they don't show the Tiber either...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Amazing TV fuck-up today.

Sky History is doing a new show called The Chop, which basically looks like a wood-working and carpentry version of Great British Bake Off. As part of the run-up they've been releasing cute little videos where you get to know the contestants.

One of the contestants has a lot of tattoos - is absolutely covered in them, including his face tattoos which some viewers noted seem quite Nazi:
QuoteDr Adam Rutherford
@AdamRutherford
Darren appears to have these two on his face
88 = HH = Heil Hitler
23/16 = WP = White Supremacy

There's also:
18 = AH = Adolf Hitler
1488: a reference to the so-called 14 words, coined by white supremacist terrorist David Lane
There's also:
1/11 = AK = Aryan Knights
3/11 = 3 K = KKK
109 = the claim that Jews have been expelled from 109 nations throughout history, sometimes coupled with
110 = in the hope that the US will be the next one

(Sidenote - why is the far-right so obsessed with numerology? :blink:)

Sky History's initial line was:
Quote"Darren's tattoos denote significant events in his life and have no political or ideological meaning whatsoever. Amongst the various numerical tattoos on his body, 1988 is the year of his father's death," a spokesman said.

"The production team carried out extensive background checks on all the woodworkers taking part in the show, that confirmed Darren has no affiliations or links to racist groups, views or comments. Sky History is intolerant of racism and all forms of hatred and any use of symbols or numbers is entirely incidental and not meant to cause harm or offence."

They've now deleted those statements on social media but not withdrawn them. Their new line is "While we investigate the nature, and meaning, of Darren's tattoos, we have removed the video featuring him from our social media pages, and will not be broadcasting any episodes of The Chop: Britain's Top Woodworker until we have concluded that investigation. Sky HISTORY stands against racism and hate speech of all kinds."

All-in-all an absolute dumpster fire of a day at Sky's offices :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

*rolls down sleeve over my 69420*  :Embarrass:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2020, 12:48:46 PM
(Sidenote - why is the far-right so obsessed with numerology? :blink:)

For precisely that reason. For the longest time this code was known to the initiates, which allowed them to recognize each other, without attracting too daily much attention, and having a chuckle at the clueless normies.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

I saw a movie recently where a woman had a tramp stamp that said "I love anal sex.". I didn't get the impression that this was a code.

Eddie Teach

The Brain

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2020, 04:22:32 PM
Memorandum to all posters beginning posts with "I mean"

1.  I don't want to name names, but Shelf, and to a much lesser extent Meri, should pay the most attention.  Please cease and desist from employing this phrase.  It serves no communication purpose.  It is filler.  It's like spelling out um or er.  It makes no sense at the start of a post because there's nothing preceding it that needs clarification. 

2.  Does anyone have any theory as to the source of this affectation?  Some reality show?  Some blue haired youtube influencer?  It sounds vaguely valley girlish to me.

Look, I mean, we all have to say what we have to say the way we need to say it. You ask vague questions and give bizarre, unintelligible nicknames. I make sure you understand that I mean what I'm saying, only in a nicer way than aggressively stating my opinion by using that drawn out comment in the beginning. :D

By the way, it's not uncommon for me to spell out um and er, either. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Maybe I should use it. You people never understand me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2020, 09:05:07 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with meaning.  You use it instead of "I think you're full of shit, but don't get pissed off."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2020, 09:22:59 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2020, 09:05:07 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with meaning.  You use it instead of "I think you're full of shit, but don't get pissed off."

That is a useful communication purpose. Though I think it's just as often a quibble.

Tamas

I was watching a stream of a Hungarian sports TV last night, I forgot they have been overtaken by the pro-government oligarchs as well.

In a quick-news snippet at half time, there were two news:

1. There are only one third of deaths from coronavirus in Hungary than the EU average, proving the success of the government's actions. Yet "the left" insists on criticising the government. (this was an actual quote from the anchor)
2. Great international success: the MTV Music Awards coming to Budapest

It's like an episode of Borat. Incredible.

EDIT: Oh and they also cited the low number of positive tests. What they didn't mention was that something like 20% of all tests taken are positive which as I understand is a terrible number rendering testing ineffective in controlling the disease.