News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

This thread kind of freaked me out emotionally, on the CK3 forum of all places:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/enjoying-ck3-as-a-totally-blind-player.1415316/page-3

The guy is blind, as in proper blind and plays CK3 using OCR software and a few other tools. You can find a Twitch link where you can see him playing.

I mean, it is absolutely incredible that he has the ability and perseverance to actually comprehend what's going on and play. But on the other hand I found it gut-wrenching to see him take so much time to do actions that take me seconds.

I hope the devs take interest in helping him a bit out with his requests.

Sheilbh

Yeah that is extraordinary. I really hope Paradox do work to make this more accessible. I suppose in a way it's maybe a good genre for blind players and it feels like a few of the things he's mentioned could make a huge difference.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

That's really interesting. Accessibility is a big are of professional interest for me so I'll have to look into this in detail.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on September 12, 2020, 02:37:59 PM
This thread kind of freaked me out emotionally, on the CK3 forum of all places:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/enjoying-ck3-as-a-totally-blind-player.1415316/page-3

The guy is blind, as in proper blind and plays CK3 using OCR software and a few other tools. You can find a Twitch link where you can see him playing.

I mean, it is absolutely incredible that he has the ability and perseverance to actually comprehend what's going on and play. But on the other hand I found it gut-wrenching to see him take so much time to do actions that take me seconds.

I hope the devs take interest in helping him a bit out with his requests.

I've seen his posts on other Paradox subreddits in the past (and there are other blind gamers on reddit working their way through making strategy games accessible for them). It's quite incredible, but I find it quite depressing that no mod or dev has reacted to his thread yet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Napoleon XIV

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2020, 08:30:29 PM
Eleven posts in eleven years?  Make sure you have  fire extinguisher handy, Nap 14 in case your keyboard bursts into flame.

We've had a few long-thought-lost posters return recently.  Good to see another.  :hug:

And the eleventh post in eleven years was made on the eleventh day of the month.  I should have waited for November.  Good to see you too anyhow.   :hug:

Who else is back?  I decided to look this up on a lark to see if it was still around.  Had to email von_Moltke to fix my password though; it seems an upgrade or some such years ago lockedS my account.
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Josquius

Random thought of ye day - could short termist "it doesn't matter as the end is coming anyway" attitudes being such a thing in American politics be down to everything in the country haven been built last Tuesday?
Is it at all notable that the Bible belt and tornado belt have such a heavy overlap?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2020, 12:41:38 PM
Is it at all notable that the Bible belt and tornado belt have such a heavy overlap?

No.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2020, 12:41:38 PM

They do? :unsure: Also, tornadoes don't do nearly as much destruction as they get credit for. I mean, when they hit populous areas, they hit hard, but most of them don't hit populous areas.

As someone who grew up in tornado alley, we weren't that worried about them. I'm still confused at the outright fear that people out here have of them. I'm right now surrounded by fires, worried about The Big One earthquake, and people are talking about tornadoes as if they're an unholy tragedy. Wut?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Worrying about the big one seems... odd. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2020, 01:11:43 PM
[/quote
Yeah - isn't that just like the background existential dread you kind of have to deal with if you live on the West Coast, or Japan, or Istanbul etc?
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2020, 01:11:43 PM

Okay, I'm afraid of any earthquake, if I'm honest. I grew up where they didn't happen at all. If one hits at all, I'm probably going to panic.

But then, that's because it's a unique experience for me, not something "normal" like it is for people from the west coast. Much like tornadoes for me. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring