News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Sausages are terrible anyways, but plant-based alternatives are typically abysmal.

HisMajestyBOB

The Beyond Burger is pretty good. Those sausages look pretty unappetizing though.  :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Bloomberg reporting that Lukashenko is is in talks with Putin about whether he can get exile in Russia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2020, 08:56:19 AM
Bloomberg reporting that Lukashenko is is in talks with Putin about whether he can get exile in Russia.
Surprising. But good news if so.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2020, 01:22:47 AM
I'm generally in favor of alternatives to meat, but some designs are not convincing.

I think I know that guy on the left.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

Anyone had much experience using gopros and the like?

I've had a tomtom bandit for a while. Finally got a shoulder strap for it and tested it out just walking to the shop.... Its so damn shaky. Don't think I could sit and watch that. And that's just walking along a normal flat path, not the hiking escapades I want to record.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2020, 10:41:30 AM
Anyone had much experience using gopros and the like?

I've had a tomtom bandit for a while. Finally got a shoulder strap for it and tested it out just walking to the shop.... Its so damn shaky. Don't think I could sit and watch that. And that's just walking along a normal flat path, not the hiking escapades I want to record.

A head strap would be a lot better, as that's the one part of the body that the mind tries to keep as level as possible. Whereas your shoulder is moving quite vigorously in three dimensions whilst walking.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

I'm generally in favor of alternatives to meat, but some designs are not convincing.

Hmm this looks pretty familiar :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

An emergency helicopter was sent to a park in Vienna to save the life of a 55 year old who had suffered a heart attack. While the man was dying, passersby took selfies with the helicopter.

:mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: merithyn on August 15, 2020, 12:21:40 PM

I think I know that guy on the left.

It's right out of the fridge!
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Amazing video - it feels almost like Ceausescu suddenly reailising the change in the crowd:
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1295295699085668353?s=20
QuoteYaroslav Trofimov
@yarotrof
Quite a moment. Lukashenko flies by helicopter to the MKTZ plant in Minsk, giving a speech to what he must have assumed was a friendly audience of industrial workers. Instead, the crowd erupts with "Ukhodi" — "Leave!" #Belarus

Edit: More of the speech from Max Seddon (with multiple clips):
Quotemax seddon
@maxseddon
Lukashenko flew to a Minsk factory via helicopter – clearly to avoid protesters on the drive there – and spoke to a select group of workers. It didn't help: they shouted "Resign!"

He said "You can shout all you like" and told them there wouldn't be new elections. via @nexta_tv
Lukashenko's answer was reportedly this, via @tutby:
"Are you saying the elections were unfair and you want fair ones? Here's your answer. We had an election. There won't be any other elections until you kill me."
Seems the booing began when Lukashenko admitted protesters were tortured and tried to claim that the detainees had somehow attacked police while in jail.
Lukashenko was visibly furious at being booed, and clearly not expecting it. "Thank you, I've said everything, you can shout 'Resign!' now." The workers duly obliged

He's also reporting for the FT that Moscow's preference is to broker a deal with the opposition to keep a severely weakened Lukashenko in power. That seems unlikely at this stage.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Worky business. Do any of our Brits know folk around London with some time to spare and who are currently stuck in the "rental trap? ". Basically decent income folk but who are spending so much on rent they can't save to buy.
I'm doing some research for work on our current swing at tackling the housing crisis and need to try to speak to some southroners. £20 love2shop or amazon voucher for 45 mins or so.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2020, 07:06:41 AM
Worky business. Do any of our Brits know folk around London with some time to spare and who are currently stuck in the "rental trap? ". Basically decent income folk but who are spending so much on rent they can't save to buy.
I'm doing some research for work on our current swing at tackling the housing crisis and need to try to speak to some southroners. £20 love2shop or amazon voucher for 45 mins or so.

I can save plenty but still can't afford to buy anything half decent. :P

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2020, 07:16:15 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2020, 07:06:41 AM

I can save plenty but still can't afford to buy anything half decent. :P

I'm now saving a lot and same. I'm not really sure how it is doable unless you adjust your perceptions of what is 'decent' or move far from the city.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2020, 05:55:10 AM
Amazing video - it feels almost like Ceausescu suddenly reailising the change in the crowd:
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1295295699085668353?s=20
QuoteYaroslav Trofimov
@yarotrof
Quite a moment. Lukashenko flies by helicopter to the MKTZ plant in Minsk, giving a speech to what he must have assumed was a friendly audience of industrial workers. Instead, the crowd erupts with "Ukhodi" — "Leave!" #Belarus

Edit: More of the speech from Max Seddon (with multiple clips):
Quotemax seddon
@maxseddon
Lukashenko flew to a Minsk factory via helicopter – clearly to avoid protesters on the drive there – and spoke to a select group of workers. It didn't help: they shouted "Resign!"

He said "You can shout all you like" and told them there wouldn't be new elections. via @nexta_tv
Lukashenko's answer was reportedly this, via @tutby:
"Are you saying the elections were unfair and you want fair ones? Here's your answer. We had an election. There won't be any other elections until you kill me."
Seems the booing began when Lukashenko admitted protesters were tortured and tried to claim that the detainees had somehow attacked police while in jail.
Lukashenko was visibly furious at being booed, and clearly not expecting it. "Thank you, I've said everything, you can shout 'Resign!' now." The workers duly obliged

He's also reporting for the FT that Moscow's preference is to broker a deal with the opposition to keep a severely weakened Lukashenko in power. That seems unlikely at this stage.
Wow, that seems like quite a misstep by Lukeshenko to set up a scene like this.  This is the kind of moment that suddenly makes all your enforcers consider the future after you, and making sure they don't get put on Nuremberg trial.