News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I mean I wouldn't say it's rich, just significantly richer than, say, Ukraine or Caucasus states. Which feels like it should be a more robust society that will have a different "revolutionary" experience than, say, Ukraine.

QuoteI think Putin is relatively happy with either scenario.  He probably finds Lukashenko annoying, but useful/easy to deal with.  A collapsed Belarus with a risk of turning westward, ala Ukraine, I think he would see as simply unacceptable.
I suppose Putin could try what he's done in Armenia, which, from what I understand, maintains Russia's influence but sort of lets the revolution/change happen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2020, 11:07:48 AM
My understanding is that its wealth to a large extent comes from Russia's subsidies, and those have been waning along with the strength of the economy.  It's not clear to what extent it can be independently rich.

Belarus made quite a lof of money with sanctions against Russia by reexporting forbidden goods as well. There is still some state-owned industry but exporting mostly to Russia.

As for the Armenia comparison, there is no Azeri-like danger for Belarus.

Syt

Lidl Austria are recalling some pastries with poppy seeds because of "risk of increased morphine content."  :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Heck, I have to wonder that if Putin let a collapse stew for a bit before moving in, it might be even money that the Russians would be welcomed.  I recall seeing a poll a year or so ago that more than half of Belrussians were ok with union with Russia (though 70+% still preferred independence).

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on August 14, 2020, 11:34:40 AM
Lidl Austria are recalling some pastries with poppy seeds because of "risk of increased morphine content."  :lol:

Legalize pastries!  :mad:

Tamas

Oh FFS. Poppy seeds have been fairly common in Hungarian cuisine, for pastries.

My grandparents even grew a bit of it. Luckily it wasn't napalmed. :P

Valmy

I didn't know morphine dens had such tasty baked goods.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Poppy seeds are pretty common here too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Usually they have little "bad components", though they can still lead to positive drug tests.

But apparently a batch of more active ones has slipped through and into the pastry manufacture.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I bought a new fridge, but Lowe's delivered the wrong one. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2020, 04:49:00 PM

:( Well make sure to have it replaced asap, don't let them get away with it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2020, 05:29:45 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed.  The first crew came in and broke something trying to remove the old refrigerator and we need to get a plumber out to fix it before the Lowes guys came back.  Also they didn't' wear masks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2020, 07:28:32 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed.  The first crew came in and broke something trying to remove the old refrigerator and we need to get a plumber out to fix it before the Lowes guys came back.  Also they didn't' wear masks.

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2020, 07:28:32 PM

Impressive. Did they kick your dog and light your car on fire on the way out?

DGuller

I had Fios guy come over my place to upgrade my Internet.  I was told by Verizon three times before the visit to wear a mask and keep social distance during the appointment to protect the worker.  The Fios guy proceeded to wear the mask on his chin for most of the overly long service.  :rolleyes:

Syt

I'm generally in favor of alternatives to meat, but some designs are not convincing.

—Stephen Jay Gould