And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The US hates roundabouts.  :hmm:

Tamas

I don't think the British map tells the story.

For example, this is in a village very close to me:

It's a double roundabout in some very basic crossroads.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I don't know why we love the mini-roundbout like that quite as much as we do :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 10, 2020, 08:41:26 AM

I do generally find them stressful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Cincinnati is one of the small clusters-- we are getting more and more of them here.  Still not quite as many as Indianapolis apparently.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 08:52:38 AM
Yeah - I don't know why we love the mini-roundbout like that quite as much as we do :mellow:

Incidentally, it's often called rond-point à l'anglaise in French.
rond-point = roundabout, though the proper term would be carrefour giratoire.

Sheilbh

I find the really localised hot-spots in the US kind of weird. Wonder how that happened.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Over here the roundabout boom in the 2000s launched the golden age of the horrible urban sculpture.

What happened to the dinoshrubbery, Larchie?

DGuller

It could be that roundabouts require some prior education on everyone's part, and it's too much of a hump to overcome in the US, especially given how driver education is not taken seriously here at all.  In my experience, Americans are also good at taking the worst from both worlds when designing roundabouts or "traffic circles".

Valmy

The US hates roundabouts.

We like grids...though I am seeing more and more of them around here. I kind of like not having to stop at an intersection.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 09:11:51 AM
I find the really localised hot-spots in the US kind of weird. Wonder how that happened.

They are currently fashionable so they are showing up where construction is happening.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2020, 08:55:35 AM

I do generally find them stressful.

Aren't intersections just generally stressful? I mean unless you hit the greenlight jackpot.

DGuller

I find them stressful because I'm never sure whether I'm doing what I'm supposed to do in them.  I imagine it would go away with practice, but they're rare enough that every time is like the first time.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 09:11:51 AM

Enterprising young urban planners who probably did a gap year in Europe.  :P

Tonitrus

But on the topic, as an Amerikan, I generally really like roundabouts...when used wisely.  For relatively low-traffic intersections, they're fantastic.  It is when they get into the double-roundabouts, roundabouts with traffic lights in the middle, and other high-volume locations that they get out of hand.