Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on August 13, 2019, 05:11:45 PM
QuoteCIA
@CIA
While eating in Denmark, it is customary to keep one's hands visible even when resting. So, wrists are often laid on the table.

What? I mean, who keeps their hands under the table?

Somebody hasn't spent enough time watching the bar scene in Star Wars episode IV

mongers

Warspite, I've seen you, so you might as well post now.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on August 13, 2019, 09:20:28 PM

Don't you mean   <_<?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: mongers on August 13, 2019, 09:20:28 PM
He might be too busy on his honeymoon. <_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Ok, now explain the 98% that aren't preppers.

Josquius

A famous lyric from the sex pistols song anarchy in the UK perfectly sums up most alt right supporters.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

We live in REALLY weird times.

https://6abc.com/man-wearing-tv-on-head-caught-on-camera-leaving-old-tvs-on-porches/5462579/

(video in link)

QuoteMan wearing TV on head caught on camera leaving old TVs on Virginia front porches

HENRICO COUNTY, Virginia -- Residents living in a Virginia neighborhood woke up to find free televisions on their doorsteps. It sounds like a great gift until you see the older box sets left at the homes.

"He's committed to his trade," said homeowner, Jim Brooksbank.

No need to adjust that dial. Doorbell surveillance cameras captured the man with a TV set over his head, laying an older set down on someone's front porch and just walking off.

"He wants to be known as the TV Santa Claus. I don't know," Brooksbank told WTVR-TV.

The bizarre discovery happened Sunday morning in Henrico's Hampshire neighborhood. Outdated boxes were found at more than 50 homes.

"We got an old tube-style TV, 13 inch," said Brooksbank.

"I thought my son brought it home, but apparently not. They had way too much time on their hands if they had all these TV's and spread them all over the neighborhood," said homeowner, Michael Kroll.

Henrico Police are tuned into the situation. They have security camera video from multiple neighbors, but think it's only a prank targeting no one in particular.

"At most this seems to be more an inconvenience to the community," said one officer.

Officers and county workers spent Sunday morning picking up the old units and hauling them away.

"The police did a great job of coming up and collecting them all," said Brooksbank.

This is the second time the TV set mystery has played out in Glen Allen. The same thing happened in a different neighborhood last August.

"I think it's just a prank. Some college students who are just bored," said Kroll.

"It's summer, and people are getting ready to go back to school. Maybe TV man was just ready to strike and put a little humor in our lives," added Brooksbank.

In the absence of knowing the brains inside the box, these homeowners are left only to guess what it all means.

According to Henrico Police, the only real crime committed was illegal dumping.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Maybe this kind of thing happened all the time. Maybe some guy with a hammer strapped to his head was leaving old blacksmith anvils on people's front porches in 1925, we just didn't have the internet to tell us about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I want one. They're quite hard to find these days and would be good for my mega drive
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

I can understand the reasoning behind this guy. When I was getting rid of my huge old tube TV, getting the city to pick it up took forever.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 14, 2019, 03:44:45 PM
I can understand the reasoning behind this guy. When I was getting rid of my huge old tube TV, getting the city to pick it up took forever.  :D

I kind of admire him. I remember moving back then, those big CRTs were hell to move.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

I don't think our CRTs were any heavier than our current flat screens. Course, the screen was much smaller.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 11:18:45 PM
I don't think our CRTs were any heavier than our current flat screens. Course, the screen was much smaller.

Maybe. But flat screens are easy to carry. CRTs were bulky with no obvious hand holds. I remember my fingers hurt like fuck the longer I carried them.

Flat screens are no problem at all, even if they might be the same weight.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 11:18:45 PM
I don't think that's true.  My last CRT was a 27 inch Sony WEGA, I think it easily hit 100 pounds.  I never dared to even try picking it up myself.  My 52 inch Samsung LCD weighs in at around 50 pounds, and it's no issue at all for one person to handle it.