And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2019, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 10:30:47 AM
Are you 100% sure that you're going to live the rest of your life in the UK? Do you get to keep your Hungarian citizenship?

Is anyone 100% sure about anything other than death and taxes?  That's rather a silly threshold to ask about.  What if he's 94% sure?  What difference would that make?

Whatever, change that for a suitable adverb, or just omit it entirely. He's the one doing planning for the rest of his life.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 11:07:10 AM
Whatever, change that for a suitable adverb, or just omit it entirely. He's the one doing planning for the rest of his life.

Understood.  I was taking your words too literally, then.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Yes I can be a dual citizen and I am planning to, as with the political situation as it is, I don't want to lose my ability in a decare or two to freely enter Hungary whenever I please.

I don't think it is wise to plan to settle for good in any country and not aspire to gain citizenship there. Why would you lock yourself in a second-class status?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2019, 11:12:02 AM
Yes I can be a dual citizen and I am planning to, as with the political situation as it is, I don't want to lose my ability in a decare or two to freely enter Hungary whenever I please.

I don't think it is wise to plan to settle for good in any country and not aspire to gain citizenship there. Why would you lock yourself in a second-class status?

As a citizen of nowhere you won't be reviled by UK mouthbreathers. :bowler:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2019, 11:12:02 AMI don't think it is wise to plan to settle for good in any country and not aspire to gain citizenship there. Why would you lock yourself in a second-class status?

My brother has been living in Austria for years, has bought a flat there, is getting married to an Austrian later this month and has a 2 y.o. kid with her already, and he has no intention whatsoever to become Austrian. Is he being unwise, then?

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 11:17:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2019, 11:12:02 AMI don't think it is wise to plan to settle for good in any country and not aspire to gain citizenship there. Why would you lock yourself in a second-class status?

My brother has been living in Austria for years, has bought a flat there, is getting married to an Austrian later this month and has a 2 y.o. kid with her already, and he has no intention whatsoever to become Austrian. Is he being unwise, then?

Yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2019, 11:17:35 AM

Yes.

Why?

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 11:18:08 AM

Yes.

Why?

For one, you are arm straining yourself to not have a voice in the democracy you live in. That is insensible to me, to shut your self out of the local politics.

Also, it leaves you open to having the government kick you out. Maybe you are right & if the government becomes that hostile, you will not want to stay but better to manage the risk now than have consequences dropped on you.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2019, 11:23:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 11:18:08 AM

Yes.

Why?

For one, you are arm straining yourself to not have a voice in the democracy you live in. That is insensible to me, to shut your self out of the local politics.

Also, it leaves you open to having the government kick you out. Maybe you are right & if the government becomes that hostile, you will not want to stay but better to manage the risk now than have consequences dropped on you.

Being within the EU changes a lot of that rationale, as he's covered. Can't vote for national elections, though, I give you that.

Grey Fox

EU membership is temporary.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2019, 11:25:29 AMEU membership is temporary.

At this point in history, not really. We're not talking about the UK.

DGuller

You seem to have a rather weird hostility to people getting citizenship in other countries.  When you're living in an adopted country, you will always have a sense of being "other", but why exacerbate it by not even trying to be part of the club? 

On a practical level, you will always be potentially subject to some bullshit that may be minor for citizens but deportable for you, and your exposure to that bullshit can change on a political whim.  Feeling like a nomad is no way to go through life if you can avoid it.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2019, 11:27:53 AM
You seem to have a rather weird hostility to people getting citizenship in other countries.  When you're living in an adopted country, you will always have a sense of being "other", but why exacerbate it by not even trying to be part of the club? 

On a practical level, you will always be potentially subject to some bullshit that may be minor for citizens but deportable for you, and your exposure to that bullshit can change on a political whim.  Feeling like a nomad is no way to go through life if you can avoid it.

I have to leave shortly, but I'll come back to this later.  :)

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2019, 11:27:53 AM

I think you guys have pressed someone's button.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

I'm with Larchie.

I didn't feel treated like a second class citizen when I lived in Germany. I'm an EU citizen, which allows me to do anything short of voting in the national elections in any EU country. My only barrier was language, and that's something I could and would have changed had I stayed there.

My brother has been living there for five years now. He just bought a flat. As far as I know he has no plan to become a German citizen. It would make sense for his wife though (she's Turkish).