News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saladin

"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Syt

Possible dumpling shortage at Chinese restaurants in Vienna soon. Over the last week or so, authorities have shut down 3 unregistered production hubs for dumplings. Typically, those would be in an apartment where a few Chinese immigrants lived and produced the dumplings in less than ideal hygienic conditions. The businesses were unregistered, so the workers had no insurance, and no taxes were paid on the sales.

All Asian restaurants and supermarkets are currently undergoing inspections to see if they bought the goods.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2019, 06:38:50 AM
Possible dumpling shortage at Chinese restaurants in Vienna soon. Over the last week or so, authorities have shut down 3 unregistered production hubs for dumplings. Typically, those would be in an apartment where a few Chinese immigrants lived and produced the dumplings in less than ideal hygienic conditions. The businesses were unregistered, so the workers had no insurance, and no taxes were paid on the sales.

All Asian restaurants and supermarkets are currently undergoing inspections to see if they bought the goods.
Not surprised really considering the huge markup that can be enjoyed from them.
I wonder when the Japanese will develop a gyoza making robot.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2019, 06:38:50 AM

Yay profiling.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

If/when I become a British citizen, this is the oath I have to take:
'I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.'

So it IS an oath of loyalty to a monarch. That kind of sucks. How can I maintain my republican views after that? :P

Valmy

Depends upon how flexible your conscience is  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2019, 09:17:43 AM
'I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.'

So it IS an oath of loyalty to a monarch. That kind of sucks. How can I maintain my republican views after that? :P

A proper reason for not becoming British. I frankly don't understand why you're so eager to do so.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 09:55:14 AM

A proper reason for not becoming British. I frankly don't understand why you're so eager to do so.

If I intend to live here for the rest of my life, it will be better to be less vulnerable to the populist whims of the Johnsons and Farages of the world.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2019, 09:58:11 AM

If I intend to live here for the rest of my life, it will be better to be less vulnerable to the populist whims of the Johnsons and Farages of the world.

That's your own paranoia talking.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 09:59:40 AM

Dude, the UK is leaving the EU. Without being a citizen, I will have no legal protection that can't be taken away basically overnight. Fuck that.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2019, 10:03:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 09:59:40 AM

Dude, the UK is leaving the EU. Without being a citizen, I will have no legal protection that can't be taken away basically overnight. Fuck that.

If the UK becomes the kind of country that would strip legal protections from legal residents overnight, would that be the kind of country you'd want to live in and be a citizen of? Do you think that EU citizens will be Windrushed after Brexit?

Tamas

Right after Brexit? No. Getting Windrushed 50 years later, like the Windrush people? Who knows?

It is just too much of a legal uncertainty for me to base the rest of my life on.

I guess, I can maintain my oath by abstaining from actions to undermine my sworn Fuhr..monarch, like voting in a referendum on abolishing her/his power if there ever will be one. But the oath shan't stop me from voicing my scepticism about the concept of superior legal status by birth, and persons owing legal allegiance to other persons not their kids.

The Larch

Are you 100% sure that you're going to live the rest of your life in the UK? Do you get to keep your Hungarian citizenship?

The Brain

I don't think he would contemplate it if he didn't get double citizenship.

Becoming a UK citizen seems sensible to me. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on August 09, 2019, 10:30:47 AM
Are you 100% sure that you're going to live the rest of your life in the UK? Do you get to keep your Hungarian citizenship?

Is anyone 100% sure about anything other than death and taxes?  That's rather a silly threshold to ask about.  What if he's 94% sure?  What difference would that make?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!