News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2019, 05:09:33 PM
is there a more pointless holiday than President's Day?

I enjoyed it :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 18, 2019, 11:54:35 AM

Southern Portugal is mostly flat, unlike northern Portugal. It's not a detail for a cyclist I guess.  :P

Part of my plan, to cycle myself into shape on the flats before hitting the mountains around Malaga

Quote from: The Larch on February 18, 2019, 04:23:19 PM
When are you planning to do this trip? Spring?

:yes:

Mid march to mid april.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2019, 07:39:00 PM
Dunno what that means.

Mega obscure allusion to an Onion piece during Gulf War I or II about an Iowa housewife baking her Victory Pie.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on February 18, 2019, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 18, 2019, 04:23:19 PM
When are you planning to do this trip? Spring?

:yes:

Mid march to mid april.

Ok, let me know your schedule when it gets closer or when you're somewhat sure of which route you'll take. In mid april I'll be in Sevilla for a congress, so maybe I can catch you on your way back.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2019, 07:08:57 AM
The Visergrad 4s had organised a meeting in Tel Aviv of all places earlier, since Netanyahu has been increasingly trying to use Orban and Polish Potato's playbook as I understand.

But it has been cancelled with Orban's plane already enroute. :D

Netanyahu said something about Poles being collaborators in the Holocaust, Poles got offended, and the Israeli Foreign Minister doubled down by quoting some old Polish Holocaust survivor who said "Poles drank anti-semitism with mothers milk" or somesuch. Poles after that cancelled their visit which prompted the Czech PM to cancel the whole thing.

:lmfao: I guess this is the problem when you try to build a team out of nationalistic populists.

Our own far right party (Vox) is being courted by ECR. It will be fun seeing them alongside Flemish nationalists (which support Catalan independence), pity the Tories are leaving or we'd also have some Gibraltar fun.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2019, 05:09:33 PM
is there a more pointless holiday than President's Day?

Atleast it has a good name. In Ontario, Saskatchewan & Alberta it was just "Family Day" Here, in Quebec, it was.. monday.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

If you are commuting long distances in heavy traffic, do yourself a favour and do it with an automatic gearbox. Goddamit it's exhausting to crawl along on rush hour M25 when I have to bloody clutch. With the automatic I just release and apply the brake and that's it.

Syt

Austria is a bit weird when it comes to whether or not Good Friday is a public holiday. In general it isn't, but if you are a protestant, then it is.

Someone took this to the European Courts which concluded that this is unfair - in many cases protestants just work on Friday, but are entitled to special bonuses for working on a public holiday, while their non-protestant colleagues get nothing.

The government has now found a compromise: "Good Friday is half a Public Holiday. Regular work ceases at 2 pm."

There's a few issues with that, like:
- A lot of companies do that every Friday, anyways (est. 1.5 million employees)
- How many working hours are required? It makes a difference if someone's contractual hours start at 7 am or 9 am.

Additionally, the chamber of commerce (which has all but written most new business/employment legislation the new government has forced through, often bypassing parliamentary review) has already said that this is an unacceptable additional burden for entrepreneurs and companies and expect the federal government to cover the extra expenses that incurs them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 18, 2019, 05:17:35 PM
No. It should be rededicated to the abolition of slavery.

We have that in Texas at the date slavery was actually abolished here. I guess we could have it on January 31st for the passage of the 13th Amendment nationally. Or is your idea that since President's day is evolved partially from Lincoln's Birthday that we can just rededicate it to Abolition?

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2019, 12:07:00 PM
Austria is a bit weird when it comes to whether or not Good Friday is a public holiday. In general it isn't, but if you are a protestant, then it is.

Someone took this to the European Courts which concluded that this is unfair - in many cases protestants just work on Friday, but are entitled to special bonuses for working on a public holiday, while their non-protestant colleagues get nothing.

The government has now found a compromise: "Good Friday is half a Public Holiday. Regular work ceases at 2 pm."

- How many working hours are required? It makes a difference if someone's contractual hours start at 7 am or 9 am.

Additionally, the chamber of commerce (which has all but written most new business/employment legislation the new government has forced through, often bypassing parliamentary review) has already said that this is an unacceptable additional burden for entrepreneurs and companies and expect the federal government to cover the extra expenses that incurs them.

Dang.  I guess that Protestant Bonus was sweet while it lasted.

Habbaku

Where's Ferdinand II when you need him?  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on February 19, 2019, 12:30:28 PM
Where's Ferdinand II when you need him?  :(

He's taking the winter off.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2019, 12:07:00 PM

When I was a TA at Columbia there was always a bit of grumbling from nonchristian students for the fact that we were instructed to allow Christians to take Ash Wednesday off.