News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2019, 09:58:49 PM
Watching the news about trade tension between the US and China, I got completely distracted from what the IMF's chief economist,Gita Gopinath was saying because she's a rather attractive person.  :blush:

I understand.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Googled her and my current account surplus went up.

Tonitrus

Admiral Yi

Great hair, some camera angles work better than other.

By IMF Chief Economist standards she's a 10.

Habbaku

I'd say by any economist standards, she's a 10.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2019, 03:04:54 PM
Great hair, some camera angles work better than other.

By IMF Chief Economist standards she's a 10.

By 47 y.o. standards she's a 10.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

A big pay packet can really help a woman's looks.

Having said that I agree with the consensus. What a wonderful world it is sometimes.

celedhring

The regional government finally caved in and gave the taxi drivers a more restrictive regulation for ridesharers, which will kill them as an "on demand" service (now you'll have to book them at least one hour in advance). The strike has now spread to Madrid, where taxi drivers demand the same concessions from their regional government.

It's been a very ugly strike, besides the transit chaos there's been several smashed vehicles, and some wounded in clashes between Uber and taxi drivers. I'm personally infuriated that we're giving in to thuggery.

celedhring

Map of the day, stolen from the Spanish EUOT

France surprises me. Was expecting to see WWI there. Same with Germany and WWII. Those premodern wars lasting decades were bloodier than I expected.

Tamas

Stuff like French War of Religion must be a wild guestimate I reckon.

Plus for Hungary that cannot possibly include the Jews. Around 600 000 Hungarian Jews were eradicated during the war. The rural Jewry basically got erased. A common sight in all village cemeteries during my youth (nowadays I guess they have crumbled/have been removed) was the Jewish corner entirely unmaintained.

So that's 600k. Just the 2nd Army lost 120k men after the disaster at the Don, and that's actually dead/missing not all casualties.  So we are easily at the 720k mark and we have not counted the 70+ days siege of Budapest where half of the causalities were civilians, plus all the fighting through the country and the army's involvement in Yugoslaivan and Ukrainain occupation etc.

celedhring

I suppose there must be a bit of a disparity in the criteria. The Spanish Civil War number looks very low unless they are counting only combat deaths, while it's hard to believe the numbers touted for the 30 years war of the French Wars of Religion are meant to include combatants only. Or the Polish one.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2019, 05:43:21 AM
I suppose there must be a bit of a disparity in the criteria. The Spanish Civil War number looks very low unless they are counting only combat deaths, while it's hard to believe the numbers touted for the 30 years war of the French Wars of Religion are meant to include combatants only. Or the Polish one.

Yes this map sucks :P

celedhring

:Embarrass:

I meant well.

Tamas