News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2018, 07:12:49 PMPM your address and i'll deliver in person.

Let me know when you're coming - and what you want to do while here - and I'll do just that :)

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 21, 2018, 11:49:24 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2018, 07:12:49 PMPM your address and i'll deliver in person.

Let me know when you're coming - and what you want to do while here - and I'll do just that :)

I've suggested a couple of times we should do a Vancouver meet-up.  If Katmai is there I will almost certainly make it as well. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

The clocks go forward this weekend.
One hour less of sleep :cry:

Quote from: The Brain on March 21, 2018, 05:46:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 02:21:29 PM
This was a fascinating story.
Elephants vs. Rhinos. Who would win?

https://www.kotafoundation.org/the-delinquents-in-pilanesberg/

Cool. KOTA legit or crackpots?

I've seen the same story told differently elsewhere. Seems legit.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Got up at 6am this morning to present to clients in Australia. I'm tired. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2018, 03:01:14 AM

Yeah, but it is just a small sacrifice required to then enjoy better, sunnier weather. Sort of like how gaining that one hour in autumn is a token positive to heading into the world of cold and darkness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2018, 03:49:48 AM

Yeah, but it is just a small sacrifice required to then enjoy better, sunnier weather. Sort of like how gaining that one hour in autumn is a token positive to heading into the world of cold and darkness.

:yes:

I know it supposedly does a lot of bad shit to our cyrcadian rythms, but I love Spanish summer nights with daylight until 10 pm.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2018, 03:57:56 AM

I know it supposedly does a lot of bad shit to our cyrcadian rythms, but I love Spanish summer nights with daylight until 10 pm.

The real problem in Spain is having Central European Time since Franco.  :P

Josquius

Yeah. That's crazy. Shouldn't most of the country be in GMT-1?
At least be in GMT.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Well, GMT-1 would be too much (Azores Times) but GMT used to be standard time for France and Belgium too. Never reverted to it after WWII for different reasons.  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2018, 05:04:07 AM

The real problem in Spain is having Central European Time since Franco.  :P

I know that, and that's why our schedules are a bit wacky (we do everything later than in most Euro countries), since sunlight and time zone don't align well. But man, those sunny summer evenings  :P

It was done to align Spain with Berlin's time in the 1940s, incidentally. Just in case Spain entered the war. Never got changed back although the issue keeps coming up.

mongers

Yeah, one of the few benefit for living up at 51 degrees North.

edit:
I hadn't reflected on implications of European time until now, so looking it up the figures for near mid-summer, well 20th June:
London sunrise - 4.42am  sunset - 9.20pm
Bilbao   sunrise - 6.31am   sunset - 9.55pm   :wacko:

Wow and that was the most easterly northern Spanish city I could quickly find.

I can see how that disconnect might mess with ones rhythms.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Look at the Chinese time zone crazyness.

20th of June 2018

Hotan - City in Xinjiang
sunrise 07 h 20 sunset 22 h 03

Beijing
sunrise 04 h 45 sunset 19 h 46
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2018, 07:49:23 AM
Look at the Chinese time zone crazyness.

20th of June 2018

Hotan - City in Xinjiang
sunrise 07 h 20 sunset 22 h 03

Beijing
sunrise 04 h 45 sunset 19 h 46

Yeah those seem to be as bad as the Spanish examples. Though being further south not so long a day as compared to Spain or the UK. 14.75 hrs and 15 hrs  vs 16.5 and 15.5 for London and Bilbao respectively.

Good to see our Portuguese friend pre-emptively overthrow their European overlords by setting their time in lock-step* with Blighty.  :bowler:

*I haven't checked the details so a wild guess.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2018, 07:33:32 AM

Yeah, one of the few benefit for living up at 51 degrees North.

edit:
I hadn't reflected on implications of European time until now, so looking it up the figures for near mid-summer, well 20th June:
London sunrise - 4.42am  sunset - 9.20pm
Bilbao   sunrise - 6.31am   sunset - 9.55pm   :wacko:

Wow and that was the most easterly northern Spanish city I could quickly find.

I can see how that disconnect might mess with ones rhythms.

Spanish people : not naturally lazy. Time zones made them that way.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2018, 09:43:56 AM
Yeah those seem to be as bad as the Spanish examples. Though being further south not so long a day as compared to Spain or the UK. 14.75 hrs and 15 hrs  vs 16.5 and 15.5 for London and Bilbao respectively.

Good to see our Portuguese friend pre-emptively overthrow their European overlords by setting their time in lock-step* with Blighty.  :bowler:

*I haven't checked the details so a wild guess.

Actually, Portugal tried to switch :P to CET between 1992 and 1996 but reverted to WET (GMT/UTC+0) due to alleged troubles such as disrupted child sleep patterns (no darkness in Summer around 22.00 or even 22.30) or more road accidents according to insurance companies.
Where the Larch lives, in Galicia just north of Portugal, CET does not make sense at all, it's less marked of course in Catalonia.
My recollection of it is vague but I remember some confusion so it does match. ;)