News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2018, 02:25:38 PM
So good news - my US $20 turned into $25.12 Canadian (and for some reason they even dug up two pennies to give me).

Bad news - there went a half hour of my lunch break.

And you call yourself a lawyer?
They should have given you at least $100 for emotional trauma.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Ok, found the kind of housing that I meant, Mews.

QuoteMews is a primarily British term formerly describing a row of stables, usually with carriage houses below and living quarters above, built around a paved yard or court, or along a street, behind large city houses, such as those of London, during the 17th and 18th centuries. The word may also refer to the lane, alley or back street onto which such stables open. It is sometimes applied to rows or groups of garages or, more broadly, to a narrow passage or a confined place. Today most mews stables have been converted into dwellings.

So, not that different from turning garages into studios.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 02:32:29 PM

QuoteMews is a primarily British term formerly describing a row of stables, usually with carriage houses below and living quarters above, built around a paved yard or court, or along a street, behind large city houses, such as those of London, during the 17th and 18th centuries. The word may also refer to the lane, alley or back street onto which such stables open. It is sometimes applied to rows or groups of garages or, more broadly, to a narrow passage or a confined place. Today most mews stables have been converted into dwellings.

Disagree in that they stopped being carriages in the early 20th century. Not so odd that things get re-purposed decades later.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

So good news - my US $20 turned into $25.12 Canadian (and for some reason they even dug up two pennies to give me).

You got gypped.  Google is showing the exchange rate as 1.31.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 02:32:29 PM

Go North-South across the major roads in Belgravia and presumable east-west and there are lots of mews 'streets'.

I think many were converted to housing very soon after the horse carriage's obsolescence; fashionable mews living was a thing already by the late 40s/ early 50s.
I'd guess they're worth many millions each nowadays.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2018, 03:34:18 PM

You got gypped.  Google is showing the exchange rate as 1.31.

I just walked into a nearby bank (I don't even bank there).  I was already irked that it took me a half hour - I wasn't going to spend more time to try and save a buck.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 01:46:59 PM
Are any right wingers decrying the gay agenda over this?

I had no idea you had a $2.

I would, but who'd listen?  :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2018, 05:00:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 01:46:59 PM
Are any right wingers decrying the gay agenda over this?

I had no idea you had a $2.

I would, but who'd listen?  :mellow:

Not sure how it's a sign of a "gay agenda" anyway.  Homosexuals stereotypically have much better fashion sense than that shown by whoever designed our newer bills.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

:mad:

Someone gave me a cash tip driving uber....turns out it was worthless Canadian money.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 02:21:29 PM
This was a fascinating story.
Elephants vs. Rhinos. Who would win?

https://www.kotafoundation.org/the-delinquents-in-pilanesberg/

Cool. KOTA legit or crackpots?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2018, 05:41:08 PM
Someone gave me a cash tip driving uber....turns out it was worthless Canadian money.

Mail it to me. I'll give it a good home.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on March 21, 2018, 05:18:29 PM
Not sure how it's a sign of a "gay agenda" anyway.  Homosexuals stereotypically have much better fashion sense than that shown by whoever designed our newer bills.

Our new bills are beautiful :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on March 21, 2018, 06:24:19 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2018, 05:41:08 PM

Mail it to me. I'll give it a good home.
PM your address and i'll deliver in person.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

frunk

Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2018, 07:12:49 PM
PM your address and i'll deliver in person.

That poor fare.  "Please, I just wanted to go home from the bar!"