News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2018, 08:47:30 AM
Seems like it's starting to pick up some steam in the US, at least on social media.

Is it entirely political in nature? I am slightly baffled how in Hungary (and apparently Poland) it is basically exclusively a variation to Mother's Day except you kind of celebrate all women, while in the west it is more a political thing. Says a lot about these societies as well, I guess.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2018, 09:47:46 AM
Seems like it's starting to pick up some steam in the US, at least on social media.

Is it entirely political in nature? I am slightly baffled how in Hungary (and apparently Poland) it is basically exclusively a variation to Mother's Day except you kind of celebrate all women, while in the west it is more a political thing. Says a lot about these societies as well, I guess.

I thought IWD was big in the Soviet bloc, even if just for propaganda purposes.

Over here it's always been political, although in current times it really wasn't much of a big deal until very recently. It was pretty big in the 1920s-30s, though, the dictatorship then put a lid on that.

derspiess

Is it entirely political in nature?

Seems like it to me. 

QuoteI am slightly baffled how in Hungary (and apparently Poland) it is basically exclusively a variation to Mother's Day except you kind of celebrate all women,

That's how it seems to be celebrated in Argentina as well.  I had never heard of IWD until I visited Argentina. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

That is an interesting observation.  This day was picked in part because of its communist roots commemorating the anniversary of a protest by Women in Russia in 1917.  I wonder how it was transformed in former communist states to be something akin to Mother's Day.

Josquius

This graph is so millennial

Though its about to go down :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Yeah same here.

I recall International Women's day being a thing when I was growing up in Denmark in the 70s and 80s, with a fairly radical/ leftist/ feminist slant to it. After moving to Canada it's never been a thing that came up, until this year where there were some events both at my work and my wife's work.

celedhring

Well, the marches have ended up being huge over here. Fantastic atmosphere too, very positive.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2018, 10:12:20 AM
I had never heard of IWD until I visited Argentina. 

I'm not sure I'd heard of it before last week.

Valmy

Yeah I had only heard about it in the past connected to the February Revolution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

My wife mentioned it Wednesday and sai when she was in school the boys got her flowers on that.

Duly noted, I got a rose and a cheescake on my way back from work yesterday.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

My wife told me about my lack of acknowledgement of it & that her boss was judging me.

I told her it's not mothers day or Valentine. It's a day of affirmative action for women to demand/claim for a equal treatment in all sphere of society not another of those marketing days that reminds them that their place is to be cute.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 08, 2018, 08:56:06 PM
My wife told me about my lack of acknowledgement of it & that her boss was judging me.

I told her it's not mothers day or Valentine. It's a day of affirmative action for women to demand/claim for a equal treatment in all sphere of society not another of those marketing days that reminds them that their place is to be cute.

She's a wife?  I thought you were just shacking up Quebec style.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

No Common Law in Québec
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2018, 08:59:22 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 08, 2018, 08:56:06 PM

She's a wife?  I thought you were just shacking up Quebec style.

She has a ring but we haven't had the wedding yet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.