News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Wife made me a nice dinner tonight :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

My girlfriend got flowers with a nice card for women's day. From the hotel she stayed in, not from me. :P

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2018, 08:04:42 PM
My wife mentioned it Wednesday and sai when she was in school the boys got her flowers on that.

Duly noted, I got a rose and a cheescake on my way back from work yesterday.

Psst, Olsen, cheesecake isn't a flower.

Tamas

Here's a dilemma:

The common wall we share with neighbouring flat is just after the entrance for us, in front of our bedroom door. It is apparently the wall of a room for the neighbours.

It is pretty much made of cardboard, judging by the soundproofing (there's none).

Previously there was a young student girl there who were practicing singing every night, until I had enough of not sleeping and very kindly alerted her to the situation. She was totally cool about it and moved her practicing farther, and the problem stopped.

Now, however, we have a couple. They have a little baby. Just about next to, or very close, to this wall. It is not only that I hear the baby crying, which is bad enough as she could might as well be in our own flat the volume wouldn't be much worse, but the wall is so thin, that I can actually hear her mother talking or singing to her. Sleeping without earplugs have become impossible for me.

But it'd feel awkward to ask them to reorganise their entire room so I get a reduction in noise. IDK what to do, but I am not used to such problems, and I experience it as an invasion of my privacy.

Monoriu

Is it possible to do something about the wall?  I don't know, add a layer of bricks or something on your side so that it becomes reasonably sound-proof?

Josquius

Set up your speakers next to the wall and alert them to the problem like this without ever talking to them. :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2018, 05:24:26 AM
Is it possible to do something about the wall?  I don't know, add a layer of bricks or something on your side so that it becomes reasonably sound-proof?

If I owned the place I'd have done it already, but we are only renting. I don't think the landlady would be very open to the idea. Especially as we are on a rolling contract with her, as we have been eyeing some other locations nearby.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2018, 05:39:46 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2018, 05:24:26 AM

If I owned the place I'd have done it already, but we are only renting. I don't think the landlady would be very open to the idea. Especially as we are on a rolling contract with her, as we have been eyeing some other locations nearby.

What about some temporary fix?  Buy a bunch of cardboard or something, and pile it up to increase the width of the wall.  Or something.  Get some cheap towels and stick them to the wall.  It is going to block some sound.  I mean, doing it yourself is going to be a lot easier than talking to the neighbour or the landlady.  No need to talk.  Just do it.   

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2018, 05:07:33 AM
But it'd feel awkward to ask them to reorganise their entire room so I get a reduction in noise. IDK what to do, but I am not used to such problems, and I experience it as an invasion of my privacy.

My, you've gone native (English) already. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2018, 06:00:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2018, 05:07:33 AM

My, you've gone native (English) already. :D

I used to live in a village where I had an entire floor of a big family home all to myself. :P I could hear almost nothing of my parents living downstairs. Now I am an intimate part of several other people's lives. It's nearing unbearable.

Josquius

The neighbours are in the same house which has been subdivided or the actual built to be house next door?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2018, 06:40:53 AM
The neighbours are in the same house which has been subdivided or the actual built to be house next door?

this is supposed to be like a block of flats, but I suspect it was originally built as an office building, and the wall in question was installed after the fact.

Josquius

Its Mothers Day.

To celebrate. Here's some maps of all the mams, moms, mums and mas.

https://imgur.com/a/ca07b
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Someone is putting bombs on peoples porches in Austin.  There have been two explosions today, plus another one like 2-3 weeks ago. 

Don't open any unexpected packages, Val.

E:  Forgot the link: https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Austin-police-investigating-explosion-after-one-12746178.php

Valmy

How bizarre. Well I will keep that in mind.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."