News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Another school shooting...:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on January 23, 2018, 02:20:24 PM
The issue is not that she feels repercussions on a personal level or not, but that her way of reasoning is not condoned and accepted as the next step in the struggle against toxic masculinity or whatnot.

Right, that's why I brought up his story in the first place.  Has the market bottomed out.

Saw this last night, first example I've seen of a push back against the push back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuxIbZZVpNw

BTW, what does "Washington Post blogger" mean?  Is that a job?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

QuoteIt doesn't seem fair to call the woman a "psycho".
It's over-stating it for sure. But I do get the impression that she has a screw or two loose.
The way she dropped the guy she was with to chase down a famous guy with some idealised impression of how things would go in her head but going along with the less than ideal way things were going until pretty late in the game without protesting, only to then publicly complain like so.

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2018, 12:12:14 PM
Yeah, it's a really odd story to be getting this kind of publicity.

Girl is very excited to get a date with Ansari (and definitely seemed to be looking to get his attention).  But although she seemingly wasn't opposed (or maybe was looking forward to) sex, she felt rushed through dinner, then they were quickly in his room.  Ansari went down on her, she said "lets cool down" which Ansari agrees, go on the couch, he keeps putting her hand on his penis, she leaves and cries.  In the end she uses the word "sexual assault".

As a lawyer, there's no way what she describes is sexual assault.

Ansari doesn't come across as noble or gentlemanly by any stretch - he seems as grabby and insistent as a college boy.  But one of the big messages from the piece was that Ansari was supposed to intuit from her body language what she did and didn't want - whatever happened to "no means no" as the gold standard?  So did Ansari really deserve a hit piece for being merely ungentlemanly?

And her blowing him?
Twice IIRC.

Really seems to me that she got cold feet in the moment and decided to try and  then decided to use the fact that she nearly slept with a kind of famous guy once to try grab some attention for one reason or another down the line.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Weird. Half the internet seems to be down for me... but not languish, gmail, facebook... but some other fora I frequent, some miniature sites, and ebay are unavailable.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2018, 11:03:31 PM
From what I've read that site seems to be the newest take on the xoJane type setup.

IT HAPPENED TO ME
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 24, 2018, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2018, 09:22:16 AM
:rolleyes:

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it

:(
You're always gong to have an idiot or two among thousands of people, so there is always someone to find and mock, implicitly mocking the movement along with it.  If your intention is not to mock the #metoo movement, then maybe rolling your eyes and moving on is the more empathetic option.  Just putting it out there...

Razgovory

Thought I would pass this one along:

GERMAN COURT CALLS SYNAGOGUE TORCHING AN ACT TO 'CRITICIZE ISRAEL'

QuoteA regional court in Germany has decided that a brutal attempt to set fire to a local synagogue in 2014 was an act meant to express criticism against Israel's conduct in its ongoing conflict with Gaza

regional court in Germany has decided that a brutal attempt to set fire to a local synagogue in 2014 was an act meant to express criticism against Israel's conduct in its ongoing conflict with Hamas.

A German regional court in the city of Wuppertal affirmed a lower court decision last Friday stating that a violent attempt to burn the city's Bergische Synagogue by three men in 2014 was a justified expression of criticism of Israel's policies.

Johannes Pinnel, a spokesman for the regional court, explained the court's decision regarding the three German Palestinians who sought to firebomb the Wuppertal synagogue in July 2014. The court said in its 2015 decision that the three men wanted to draw "attention to the Gaza conflict" with Israel and deemed the attack not to be motivated by antisemitism.

Israel launched Operation Protective Edge in the summer of 2014 to stop Hamas rocket attacks into Israeli territory.

The court sentenced the three men – Muhammad E., 31, Ismail A., 26, and Muhammad A., 20 – to suspended sentences for tossing firebombs at the synagogue. and causing €800 worth of damage.

The original synagogue in Wuppertal was burned by Nazis during the Kristallnacht pogroms in 1938.

Wuppertal has a population of nearly 344,000 and is located in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

The court noted that the men had consumed alcohol and there were no injuries to members of the synagogue.

A 13-year-old boy who lived near the synagogue and noticed the flames called the police. Several days before the fire, a person sprayed "Free Palestine" on one of its walls.

After the court's ruling, Volker Beck, a leading Green Party MP, said the "attack on the synagogue was motivated by antisemitism" and blasted the court for issuing a decision stating that the goal of the attack was to highlight the war in Gaza.

"This is a mistaken decision as far as the motives of the perpetrators are concerned," he said, adding that the burning of a synagogue in Germany because of the Middle East conflict can be attributed only to antisemitism.

"What do Jews in Germany have to do with the Middle East conflict? Every bit as much as Christians, non-religious people or Muslims in Germany, namely, absolutely nothing. The ignorance of the judiciary toward antisemitism is for many Jews in Germany especially alarming, " said Beck.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

outsourced call centers are hell and should be illegal god dammit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on January 24, 2018, 10:27:13 AM
Thought I would pass this one along:

GERMAN COURT CALLS SYNAGOGUE TORCHING AN ACT TO 'CRITICIZE ISRAEL'

QuoteA regional court in Germany has decided that a brutal attempt to set fire to a local synagogue in 2014 was an act meant to express criticism against Israel's conduct in its ongoing conflict with Gaza

regional court in Germany has decided that a brutal attempt to set fire to a local synagogue in 2014 was an act meant to express criticism against Israel's conduct in its ongoing conflict with Hamas.

A German regional court in the city of Wuppertal affirmed a lower court decision last Friday stating that a violent attempt to burn the city's Bergische Synagogue by three men in 2014 was a justified expression of criticism of Israel's policies.

Johannes Pinnel, a spokesman for the regional court, explained the court's decision regarding the three German Palestinians who sought to firebomb the Wuppertal synagogue in July 2014. The court said in its 2015 decision that the three men wanted to draw "attention to the Gaza conflict" with Israel and deemed the attack not to be motivated by antisemitism.

Israel launched Operation Protective Edge in the summer of 2014 to stop Hamas rocket attacks into Israeli territory.

The court sentenced the three men – Muhammad E., 31, Ismail A., 26, and Muhammad A., 20 – to suspended sentences for tossing firebombs at the synagogue. and causing €800 worth of damage.

The original synagogue in Wuppertal was burned by Nazis during the Kristallnacht pogroms in 1938.

Wuppertal has a population of nearly 344,000 and is located in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

The court noted that the men had consumed alcohol and there were no injuries to members of the synagogue.

A 13-year-old boy who lived near the synagogue and noticed the flames called the police. Several days before the fire, a person sprayed "Free Palestine" on one of its walls.

After the court's ruling, Volker Beck, a leading Green Party MP, said the "attack on the synagogue was motivated by antisemitism" and blasted the court for issuing a decision stating that the goal of the attack was to highlight the war in Gaza.

"This is a mistaken decision as far as the motives of the perpetrators are concerned," he said, adding that the burning of a synagogue in Germany because of the Middle East conflict can be attributed only to antisemitism.

"What do Jews in Germany have to do with the Middle East conflict? Every bit as much as Christians, non-religious people or Muslims in Germany, namely, absolutely nothing. The ignorance of the judiciary toward antisemitism is for many Jews in Germany especially alarming, " said Beck.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330

Why did you think you would pass this along Raz? It's a year old article and very shoddy journalism.

The court found the defendants were motivated by politics rather than religion, then sentenced them accordingly.

The Brain

What does it matter if antisemitism is politically or religiously motivated?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2018, 10:16:58 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 24, 2018, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2018, 09:22:16 AM
:rolleyes:

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it

:(
You're always gong to have an idiot or two among thousands of people, so there is always someone to find and mock, implicitly mocking the movement along with it.  If your intention is not to mock the #metoo movement, then maybe rolling your eyes and moving on is the more empathetic option.  Just putting it out there...

I was mocking xojane.  But if you want to take up for them, feel free.