Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2017, 03:29:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2017, 03:06:42 AM
Looks like I may have to exclude China from my excursion to the east yet again

Some Yoda like advice for you: the younger you are the easier to travel.  Do it while you can.  Cram as much in as you can.

Yes and no.
Time and money are mutually exclusive.
When I was young I had loads of time. Months of nothing. But...I'd have to count my money even to take a train to the next city.
Now I have plenty of money. I'm a tightass but I could go anywhere in the world if I felt like it. But no time to fit it in.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Time isn't holding up. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Today I learned: Push up jeans are a thing.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Eddie Teach

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

CountDeMoney

Stop wetshitting up this thread, you fucking morons.

Here, play with this.

QuoteThe Failing New York Times
N.Y. / Region
Man Inspired by TV Show 'Forged in Fire' Sets Off Huge Blaze, Officials Say
By JACEY FORTIN
DEC. 2, 2017

A fire raged across three blocks in a city near Albany on Thursday after a man tried to forge a piece of metal over a fire in a barrel near his home, officials said.

The fire destroyed three residential buildings and damaged 28 others in the city of Cohoes, displacing as many as 28 people
, Shawn Morse, the mayor, said in an interview on Saturday. No serious injuries were reported.

John Gomes, 51, the resident who is accused of starting the blaze near his home, was apparently inspired by "Forged in Fire," a television series on History (formerly known as The History Channel) in which bladesmiths compete to create swords and other edged weapons.

"He was trying to bend metal and make a hammer or something," Mr. Morse told reporters on Thursday. But the winds were not in Mr. Gomes's favor.

Gusts in Cohoes reached up to 30 miles per hour and sparks quickly made their way to apartment buildings near the barrel fire. Mr. Gomes's apartment was among those destroyed.

He was charged with felony counts of arson and reckless endangerment. He was arrested on Thursday and posted bail of $15,000 on Friday. He could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

"He's a father of two," Christopher Ritchey, an Albany County public defender who is representing Mr. Gomes, said in an interview on Saturday. "He's a hard-working plumber. And this is just a terrible, unfortunate accident, but it's not a crime."

Tom Ross, the assistant police chief in Cohoes, told reporters on Thursday that the arson charge was for "unintentional" or "reckless" arson. He said Mr. Gomes had been interviewed by detectives and made "statements that implicated himself."

The cost to repair the damage is still being assessed, Mr. Morse said, estimating that it could be a few million dollars.

Cohoes, a city of about 20,000 people about nine miles north of Albany, had attracted commitments to invest in the revitalization of its downtown, Mr. Morse said, adding that the project would continue.

The city, a former mill town, has seen several catastrophic fires. One blaze in 1988, on Remsen Street, the same street as the fire on Thursday, destroyed nine buildings. In 1863, The New York Times reported that several women were killed in the city when a mill they were working in burst into flames.

The fire on Thursday spanned three blocks, making it the largest that Mr. Morse, a former firefighter, could remember.

"We often tell people we don't allow open burns in the city, and they often say, 'Well, what's the worst thing that can happen?'" he said. "Well, this open burn just cost millions of dollars in damage and has destroyed half of our downtown that we've worked so hard to rebuild."

frunk

2017 in Band Names

QuoteVíctor Erice's 1973 film The Spirit Of The Beehive is a subtle meditation on the forces that drive us, and as our Noel Murray put it, nudges "adult viewers back to a childlike state, watching in awe, faintly confused and thoroughly beguiled." The band The Spirit Of The Beehive has an album called Pleasure Suck.

Mac Sabbath

Razgovory

Despite living in the Ozarks for almost my entire life, I can't do a hilly-billy accent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Russia just got owned by the IOC of all things lol
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.