News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

First choral performance with aulos of ancient scores of Athenaeus Paean (127 BC) and Euripides Orestes chorus (408 BC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOK7bU0S1Y

Pretty cool.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Question for any Dutch/Flemish-speaking Languishites (hopefully there's at least one active today):   What is the best translation for a blown gasket, specifically in terms of an automobile engine?  Not looking for a term for someone getting mad about something-- just the translation for the automobile term.  The direct translation according to Google is "geblazen pakking" but my guess is that might be too literal.

Back story is I'm entering a beer in a homebrew competition held by a local brewery, in which they gave us the grain plus the recipe to brew a variation of "Blown Gasket", which is their porter.  I did mine with Belgian yeast (also added cacao nibs in the fermenter), so an easy name for the brew would just be a Flemish translation of the original beer name.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2017, 01:34:03 PM
Question for any Dutch/Flemish-speaking Languishites (hopefully there's at least one active today):   What is the best translation for a blown gasket, specifically in terms of an automobile engine?  Not looking for a term for someone getting mad about something-- just the translation for the automobile term.  The direct translation according to Google is "geblazen pakking" but my guess is that might be too literal.

Back story is I'm entering a beer in a homebrew competition held by a local brewery, in which they gave us the grain plus the recipe to brew a variation of "Blown Gasket", which is their porter.  I did mine with Belgian yeast (also added cacao nibs in the fermenter), so an easy name for the brew would just be a Flemish translation of the original beer name.

In Dutch 'kapotte pakking' (broken gasket) is most widely used, but 'opgeblazen pakking' would also work as a more literal translation.
Flems will probably have a different, no doubt more colorful, translation.

derspiess

I'll go with "Kapotte Pakking", then.  Thanks Mal :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

TIL what a Sybian Machine is.

Sayonara, OK Cupid!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Time to try Christian Mingle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Josquius

I read somewhere that apparently things had changed significantly in recent years and no longer did a one way flight cost the same as a return.
Geneva-Tokyo return: 600 chf
Geneva-Tokyo one way: 500 chf.
Yeah.....not quite.
Looks like I may have to exclude China from my excursion to the east yet again
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2017, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2017, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2017, 03:27:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2017, 03:25:48 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 23, 2017, 01:17:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2017, 11:25:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2017, 07:40:29 AM
:huh:

German sounds like all the guttural sounds you aren't supposed to make in English.

I think that depends on the region.

FunkMunk, is your gf by any chance from the south?

Iowa actually  :lol:

She lived and worked in Germany for quite a few years.

I meant a South German accent.  To my ear it is a lot less guttural.   :)

Yeah, I think the thing is that she doesn't actually have a coherent German accent though unless she learned perfectly under the direction of just one instructor.

Wouldn't she speak with the accent where she she lived?

I supposed if all of her learning of German was done there (which seems unlikely). After all, I don't speak with any sort of English accent. :P

Some people can pick up accents really quick. I picked up a Carolina accent after just a few months.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2017, 03:06:42 AM
Looks like I may have to exclude China from my excursion to the east yet again

Some Yoda like advice for you: the younger you are the easier to travel.  Do it while you can.  Cram as much in as you can.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi