News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2017, 12:35:25 PM

What are the other course of action if no deal on table and your clients won't fold?

Argue that the prosecution hasn't met the burden of proof. You can usually find some deficiencies in the state's evidence if you look hard enough - maybe create a reasonable doubt.

Can be tough if they, say, *tape themselves committing the crime*.  :frusty:

Making arguments about how the alleged rape victim isn't acting like a victim ought to following the assault (presumably, acting all destroyed and suicidal means the crime actually happened?) is just embarrassing. I'm surprised the court allowed it as admissible - though I don't do criminal (and certainly know nothing about Spanish rules of evidence), I imagine there's a good argument here that such evidence would be completely irrelevant, and thus inadmissible.

Though who knows, in some places that sort of thing may work - assuming a jury composed entirely of troglodytes.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Well, part of the controversy - besides the nature of the crime itself - is the fact that this evidence was allowed to be introduced. In general, Spain's judiciary tends to be very protective of the rights of the accused - mostly because we come from a regime that generally wiped its arse with them. Friend lawyer of mine says the judge is allowing it to shield himself from a mistrial. This is not a jury trial, incidentally.

Barrister

The moment you exclude defence evidence is the moment you give them a ground of appeal.  Judges will always be tempted to bend over backwards for defence in order to appeal-proof the verdict.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2017, 02:13:03 PM
Well, part of the controversy - besides the nature of the crime itself - is the fact that this evidence was allowed to be introduced. In general, Spain's judiciary tends to be very protective of the rights of the accused - mostly because we come from a regime that generally wiped its arse with them. Friend lawyer of mine says the judge is allowing it to shield himself from a mistrial. This is not a jury trial, incidentally.

If it isn't a jury trial, most of the legal reason for excluding such evidence evaporates ... the easier course is for the judge to admit it and then state in his judgment he didn't give it any weight.

By the same token, if it isn't a jury trial, such evidence is even less likely to make any difference, even in a 'hail Mary' sort of way.

Problem is that allowing such evidence to be tendered in court can be deeply humiliating for the victim. Routinely allowing such evidence can be an institutional barrier for victims bringing complaints.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

So is page 4337 like the 4th level of 1337?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2017, 11:34:54 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 28, 2017, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2017, 11:22:47 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2017, 11:19:38 AM
We are having a rather high-profile trial in Spain these days; a gang-rape committed by a pack (literally, they named themselves "The Pack") of drunken louts during the San Fermín festivities.

The defense attorney made his final plea today: "the defendants may seem imbeciles, oafish, childish, feeble-minded or primal in their thoughts, but they are good boys".

He doesn't seem very confident.

:lol:

So much for their character - what's the actual defense consist of? Do they have any?

Sounds like he's going for the "It was only light rape" defense.

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing from legal experts around here. The perps claim it was consensual, and most of the evidence introduced by the defence is that the victim has acted normally since then.

Of course the dudes are so smart that they shot a video of the rape and then robbed her, too.

Didn't one of the "nice kids", who is actually a policeman, actually put a private detective in charge of following the victim in order to document how she was reacting to the alleged rape?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2017, 03:48:18 PM
So is page 4337 like the 4th level of 1337?

Ouch, how's that crash and burn feel?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2017, 06:01:17 PM
Didn't one of the "nice kids", who is actually a policeman, actually put a private detective in charge of following the victim in order to document how she was reacting to the alleged rape?

Yeah, although most of the evidence obtained thusly was rejected by the court. Only the bits that didn't infringe on the victim's intimacy were allowed to be entered (i.e. stuff she published on social media).

Veredict is expected after the holidays.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2017, 09:09:31 PM
Dude, your Dad is Unbreakable.

I wish.  I went up and saw him today and a bunch of doctors.  They are draining a lot of fluid from around his heart.  Five doctors came in to see my dad when I there and they didn't look happy.  Apparently the hospital in Jefferson City did send up the information, so they didn't know what is going on.  Now that he's seeing better doctors though, I have a feeling there will be another diagnosis soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I found out today that the catcher on my old little league team was convicted of domestic battery.  I told my best friend about it and he said that was a relief in a way-- he no longer has to feel guilty for plowing him over and knocking him out cold during a play at home.

HVC

head trauma has been linked to violent behavior. guilt back!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

I just realized this was the same dude I trucked one year in Junior High football the first day in pads.  We were running Oklahoma and he made the mistake of running too high on me.  As they say, low man wins and I de-cleated that mofo.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2017, 03:06:27 PM
head trauma has been linked to violent behavior. guilt back!

Derspiess and his best buddy are monsters!  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2017, 03:20:32 PM
I just realized this was the same dude I trucked one year in Junior High football the first day in pads.  We were running Oklahoma and he made the mistake of running too high on me.  As they say, low man wins and I de-cleated that mofo.

A memory that just gets sweeter over time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."