News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

When they drained me back in '15, I had a fluid shift and I almost died.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Well, he had another stroke, some is wrong with his heart.  I forget the word.  So they sent him up the University Hospital this evening.  Wait, I think I remember the word.  Aneurysm.  Don't know what they are going to do yet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Dude, your Dad is Unbreakable.

11B4V

Is someone from Frankfurt called a Frankfurter?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Well, what do you know, the correct term for someone from Philadelphia is "Dickhead".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

We are having a rather high-profile trial in Spain these days; a gang-rape committed by a pack (literally, they named themselves "The Pack") of drunken louts during the San Fermín festivities.

The defense attorney made his final plea today: "the defendants may seem imbeciles, oafish, childish, feeble-minded or primal in their thoughts, but they are good boys".

He doesn't seem very confident.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2017, 11:19:38 AM
We are having a rather high-profile trial in Spain these days; a gang-rape committed by a pack (literally, they named themselves "The Pack") of drunken louts during the San Fermín festivities.

The defense attorney made his final plea today: "the defendants may seem imbeciles, oafish, childish, feeble-minded or primal in their thoughts, but they are good boys".

:lol:

So much for their character - what's the actual defense consist of? Do they have any?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2017, 11:22:47 AM

So much for their character - what's the actual defense consist of? Do they have any?

Sounds like he's going for the "It was only light rape" defense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on November 28, 2017, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2017, 11:22:47 AM

Sounds like he's going for the "It was only light rape" defense.

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing from legal experts around here. The perps claim it was consensual, and most of the evidence introduced by the defence is that the victim has acted normally since then.

Of course the dudes are so smart that they shot a video of the rape and then robbed her, too.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2017, 11:34:54 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing from legal experts around here. The perps claim it was consensual, and most of the evidence introduced by the defence is that the victim has acted normally since then.

Of course the dudes are so smart that they shot a video of the rape and then robbed her, too.

Sounds like 'guilty as hell, with a side order of guilty'.

I do feel somewhat sorry for defense lawyers in cases like this. I mean, someone has to represent these - accused persons. It must be tough to play a hand with absolutely no cards in it. Presumably this went to trial because the prosecution had zero reason to make any deals ... but it is just plain embarrassing, not to mention arguably unethical, to make lame bullshit arguments that have no chance of success (around here we call them "paper baggers" in the lingo - it means when you are in a position where someone is pressuring you to make an argument that has so little legitimacy, you wish you were wearing a paper bag over your head when making them.) 

I do some commercial litigation and that very rarely happens in that world - if your hand has no cards, you settle; plus, counsel are obligated to advance every argument to help their client - but are not obligated to waste the court's time with bullshit, or to harm their own professional reputations by doing so.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

That is what good boys do right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2017, 12:13:10 PM

I do feel somewhat sorry for defense lawyers in cases like this. I mean, someone has to represent these - accused persons. It must be tough to play a hand with absolutely no cards in it. Presumably this went to trial because the prosecution had zero reason to make any deals ... but it is just plain embarrassing, not to mention arguably unethical, to make lame bullshit arguments that have no chance of success (around here we call them "paper baggers" in the lingo - it means when you are in a position where someone is pressuring you to make an argument that has so little legitimacy, you wish you were wearing a paper bag over your head when making them.) 

I do some commercial litigation and that very rarely happens in that world - if your hand has no cards, you settle; plus, counsel are obligated to advance every argument to help their client - but are not obligated to waste the court's time with bullshit, or to harm their own professional reputations by doing so.   

What are the other course of action if no deal on table and your clients won't fold?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Cases still go to trial even if there's a deal with the prosecutor in Spain (they are resolved quickly if there's no opposition to the deal). Nonetheless, there's none in place and the prosecutor is going all in,  asking for 22 years.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2017, 12:35:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 28, 2017, 12:13:10 PM

What are the other course of action if no deal on table and your clients won't fold?

You hold the prosecution to their burden.  You say "The state must prove every element beyond a reasonable doubt", and argue there's a reasonable doubt about some element of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.