News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Everything else being equal, I'd much rather shop in a place that has attractive staff and customers than one that doesn't.

Josquius

Just because you're poor doesn't mean you have to be a barbarian.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Hey Squeeze old boy, when's the last time you were in Chavistan, and did you find that your attitudes towards local behavior had changed at all?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2017, 02:20:25 PM
Today the CEO of a company said I was looking trendy.

You're a gay minority.  How can you not be trendy.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2017, 04:20:12 PM
Hey Squeeze old boy, when's the last time you were in Chavistan, and did you find that your attitudes towards local behavior had changed at all?

He is holding off until Corbyn reopens the coal mines and he can grab his dream job.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2017, 02:20:25 PM
Today the CEO of a company said I was looking trendy. When I looked at him a bit incredulously from underneath my plaid Primark* coat, he said, "Well Canadian."

*American equivalent is probably Old Navy.

Canadian is trendy now?   :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Oops not "of a company", "of my company". :D :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2017, 06:58:45 PM
Hilariously awful letter from Roy Moore's attorney:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/14/roy_moore_s_lawyer_sent_a_apocalypse_of_a_letter_threatening_local_media.html

Why do people love to use the phrase "Please be aware that..."?  It adds nothing, and sounds like you don't really know what you are talking about.

Bad:  Please be aware that I think the phrase "please be aware that" sucks.

Better: I think the phrase "please be aware that" sucks.

Best:  I suck.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

I don't know grumbler.  I'm too busy laughing over the fact that this guy represents "Chief Justice Roy Moore" and "also" represents "Roy S. Moore . . . individually".

Later on he mentions "Roy Moore," "Judge Roy S. Moore," "Roy S. Moore" and "Judge Moore" - are these all additional clients?  :lol:

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

That's as bad as the letter Marc Kasowitz wrote on behalf of Trump's legal team, and definitely worse than the physician's letter Trump had dictated for himself.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2017, 08:22:05 PM
That's as bad as the letter Marc Kasowitz wrote on behalf of Trump's legal team, and definitely worse than the physician's letter Trump had dictated for himself.

Nope.  The letter Trump wrote about his amazing health, where all his tests for disease and disability came back positive, will never be topped.  It cannot be topped, for it is the acme of ignorance piled on top of arrogance.  Not even Time cube Guy competes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I'm trying to think what sequence of events could have led to a letter like this coming out of a law firm concerning such a high profile client.

Or maybe it's not that unusual.  Cease and desist are cut and paste boilerplate scutwork, no?  Maybe they all read like they were written by Simple Jack, the only difference being this one is sent in the middle of a media storm.