And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on September 19, 2009, 06:51:19 PM
I am a nerd - I thought you knew that! :P

Anyway, that post actually led me to this wikipedia page, where Crassus is listed as the eighth wealthiest man of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealthy_historical_figures_2008

I am in no position to vouch for the accuracy of these findings, but the list is fascinating in its' own right.

USA! USA!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2009, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2009, 08:21:08 PM
Agelastus = British Tim  :P
Who is he anyway?
I don't recall from the old/true languish.

Oh.
I burned my finger on stolen goulash.
It hurts.

He was there, hadn't seen him in a few years though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Did you finally man up and eat a Double Down sandwich?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2009, 11:23:51 PM
My sister gave me something she took back from the daycare she works at.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

A very amusing web ad I came across.  :D

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 19, 2009, 11:42:37 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2009, 11:23:51 PM
My sister gave me something she took back from the daycare she works at.

Daycares are disease factories. 

Cerr

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2009, 10:54:51 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 18, 2009, 07:08:51 AM
Don't know how they gathered the statistics, was a map from wiki. For Estonia I imagine it's cross country skiing not downhill, maybe more people do that than play basketball or football, or maybe it's wrong.  I think the Gaelic Football thing comes from attendance records that show Gaelic Football is the most attended sport in Ireland (34% of total sports attendance is for Gaelic, 17% for soccer).  Probably because they follow English soccer and don't bother with their own. 
Aha, yeah that would explain Ireland for certain.
They're all Man Utd fans pretty much.
:huh:

That's nonsense. There are lots of Liverpool fans too (myself included).  Celtic are popular, as are Arsenal and Chelsea. Lesser supported teams would be Spurs, Leeds, Newcastle and Villa.

As for which is the most popular sport in Ireland. There's a pretty equal four way split between Football, GAA, Hurling and Rugby.

Josquius

:lol: Worst crowd ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J4qQlaPFQo

Quote from: Cerr on September 20, 2009, 08:36:23 AM
:huh:

That's nonsense. There are lots of Liverpool fans too (myself included).  Celtic are popular, as are Arsenal and Chelsea. Lesser supported teams would be Spurs, Leeds, Newcastle and Villa.

As for which is the most popular sport in Ireland. There's a pretty equal four way split between Football, GAA, Hurling and Rugby.
I was exagerating of course. It is the common joke though that all of Ireland is Man Utd.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2009, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2009, 08:21:08 PM
Agelastus = British Tim  :P
Who is he anyway?
I don't recall from the old/true languish.

If I recall correctly, I was once the third or fourth highest poster on Paradox's game forums; joined just before Europa Universalis (the original) was released. Wasn't much for OT though, I was only an occasional poster there.

Quit posting for a while, had a look in at Paradox and saw the wreckage in OT left by the invasion of Iraq, got invited over to the original Languish. Contributed a couple of times to its' running costs - something like three to six months worth, if I remember what old man Languish said his costs were.

Was also a member of Kapland (Kap imposed title "I use a Lego buttplug") but can't remember when exactly I joined.

Tended to post erratically over the last few years due to stress at work and other interests.

Since the firm I worked for has collapsed on me twice in the last year or so, I now have plenty of time and am reviving old interests. In fact, you could almost say I am trying to make up for lost time (I mentally don't seem to be able to consider myself a member of the community without at least a thousand recorded posts under my belt... :Embarrass:)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on September 20, 2009, 02:49:06 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 20, 2009, 11:01:25 AM
Story needs a better map.

What IS it with you and maps? :huh:
He's referencing my old practice of putting alt-hist maps in the Off Topic Thread.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2009, 02:54:10 PM

He's referencing my old practice of putting alt-hist maps in the Off Topic Thread.

Ah...

Assuming you are who I think you are, I don't recall you posting many alt history maps at the http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/ map thread. Have you stopped making them?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on September 20, 2009, 02:56:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2009, 02:54:10 PM

Ah...

Assuming you are who I think you are, I don't recall you posting many alt history maps at the http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/ map thread. Have you stopped making them?
I just don't have good photo-editing software. The quality of maps at that site have increased more and more and to make a map of nice quality with what I have takes forever. So yeah, I guess I've stopped at least for now.

1 Karma Chameleon point