News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2017, 04:27:55 PM

As for the original article that said people don't name their kids after politicians... there is an old fraternity buddy of mine who named his girls Reagan and Harper.  I don't chat much with him but I asked him once on Facebook if he named them after the politicians... he totally did.   :cool:

I got shot down using Preston as a name though. :(

I named my first two children Jackson William and Carter James. I wanted to name my third son Harrison John, but his dad wouldn't let me. :angry:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2017, 04:46:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2017, 04:27:55 PM

As for the original article that said people don't name their kids after politicians... there is an old fraternity buddy of mine who named his girls Reagan and Harper.  I don't chat much with him but I asked him once on Facebook if he named them after the politicians... he totally did.   :cool:

I got shot down using Preston as a name though. :(

I named my first two children Jackson William and Carter James. I wanted to name my third son Harrison John, but his dad wouldn't let me. :angry:

So you wanted to name your kids after three of the worst Presidents in US history?  What - was the name Nixon already taken by a cousin or something? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2017, 04:56:33 PM
So you wanted to name your kids after three of the worst Presidents in US history?  What - was the name Nixon already taken by a cousin or something? :unsure:

Better than naming your kid Harper.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 20, 2017, 04:17:15 PM
Around here, that's Steve.

Lots of steves where I work now, my last job was Mike/Michael.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on September 20, 2017, 05:22:41 PM
Lots of steves where I work now, my last job was Mike/Michael.

I don't think you and Renard are talking about the same thing.

He was responding to an article about Kevin being a retard name in France.

merithyn

So, funny story... I actually didn't realize that my kids were named after US presidents until I was pregnant with their brother. Someone jokingly said, "So are you going to name this one Kennedy?" and I blinked. :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2017, 06:30:55 PM

So, funny story... I actually didn't realize that my kids were named after US presidents until I was pregnant with their brother. Someone jokingly said, "So are you going to name this one Kennedy?" and I blinked. :blush:

:hug:

After Timothy and Andrew someone pointed out to us that our boys had biblical names.  It hadn't been our intention at first, but we decided to stick with that theme when we named Joshua.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2017, 12:07:30 AM
After Timothy and Andrew someone pointed out to us that our boys had biblical names.  It hadn't been our intention at first, but we decided to stick with that theme when we named Joshua.

Shouldn't have mixed Testaments.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2017, 05:10:52 PM

Seriously... you think Stephen Harper was a worse leader than Richard Nixon? :blink:

That seems like an easily arguable point.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2017, 12:10:25 AM

Old or New, it's all the Word of God. -_-

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2017, 12:11:22 AM

That's blasphemy to a Christian.. or should be. The whole point of Jesus was that he washed away the Old Testament. He was the New Beginning. :contract:

Habbaku

That isn't blasphemy, nor even close to it, Meri. And nor should it be. Saying the Old Testament is the Word of God is accurate, even if Jesus "washed [it] away" (which he didn't). Jesus Himself asserted that the Old Testament was the Word.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2017, 12:10:40 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2017, 05:10:52 PM

Seriously... you think Stephen Harper was a worse leader than Richard Nixon? :blink:

That seems like an easily arguable point.

Only Stephen Harper could go to China?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 21, 2017, 12:13:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2017, 12:11:22 AM

That's blasphemy to a Christian.. or should be. The whole point of Jesus was that he washed away the Old Testament. He was the New Beginning. :contract:

As someone who happily identifies as Christian... while in certain areas Christ introduced a New Covenant that over-rode the old, it by no means invalidated the Old Testament. -_-