And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

I thought you were going to start talking about Gantz which is an insane anime in its own right, but you went way weirder!  :lmfao:

Actually, now that I think about it, the protag in Gantz was hit by a train.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on September 09, 2017, 09:26:03 AM
One of the biggest and earliest line I've seen so far for the new Arena, mainly young teenagers. I guessed a Bieber concert but nope, it's for an award show for Youtubers. :mellow:

:huh:

This whole thing with Youtubers is one of the signs that I have begun drifting out of synch with the world around me.

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2017, 04:04:05 AM
One of the biggest and earliest line I've seen so far for the new Arena, mainly young teenagers. I guessed a Bieber concert but nope, it's for an award show for Youtubers. :mellow:

This whole thing with Youtubers is one of the signs that I have begun drifting out of synch with the world around me.

Don't worry, we still have plenty of years of our generation controlling Hollywood and streaming productions. I hope. :unsure:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on September 11, 2017, 04:11:39 AM

Don't worry, we still have plenty of years of our generation controlling Hollywood and streaming productions. I hope. :unsure:

We control Hollywood? I thought the Boomers still did that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 11, 2017, 05:02:34 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 11, 2017, 04:11:39 AM

We control Hollywood? I thought the Boomers still did that.

Perhaps the actual control, but aren't most directors of big movies generation x'ers now?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Not sure who you're thinking of. Looked up a few names.

JJ Abrams- born 1966
Michael Bay- 1965
Guy Ritchie- 1968
James Gunn- 1966

It's funny, Bay, Ritchie and Quentin Tarantino have been making movies for over 20 years. I'm probably just out of touch, but no idea who the next generation of big time directors are.

Liep

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 11, 2017, 05:43:50 AM
Not sure who you're thinking of. Looked up a few names.

JJ Abrams- born 1966
Michael Bay- 1965
Guy Ritchie- 1968
James Gunn- 1966

It's funny, Bay, Ritchie and Quentin Tarantino have been making movies for over 20 years. I'm probably just out of touch, but no idea who the next generation of big time directors are.

It's probably because I'm thinking of their age as when I first heard about them. Something I'm often guilty of with my own age thinking I'm still in my twenties. :blush:

But still, Edgar Wright (43), Taika Waititi (42), Martin McDonagh (47), Duncan Jones (46). And people born in the late 60's are all X'ers, no?

Eddie Teach

Liep

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 10, 2017, 08:24:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 10, 2017, 06:59:22 PM
I feel like total shit. All week I have felt like a truck hit me. I'm tired of this bullshit

I just saw an anime where the protagonist was hit by a truck.  While his body was unharmed, his soul left his body.  Half of it changed places with another guy who was also hit by the truck, and the other half entered the body of a nearby cat through the anus.

Sounds like a real cat-ass-trophy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Richard Posner, the "10th Supreme Court Justice" and according to one study the most cited legal scholar of all time, is retiring at 78.

mongers

Damn, just found out Brian Aldiss died a few weeks ago.   :(

Brian Aldiss, Author of Science Fiction and Much More, Dies at 92

By Sam Roberts Aug 24, 2017

Brian Aldiss, a former bookseller whose horrific childhood and wartime exploits in Burma kindled a fecund imagination that animated scores of novels, anthologies, memoirs and short stories, like the one that inspired the Steven Spielberg science fiction film "A.I.," died on Saturday in Oxford, England, hours after celebrating his 92nd birthday.

His death was confirmed by his son Tim Aldiss.

Mr. Aldiss was celebrated largely for his science fiction, most famously the novels "Non-Stop" (1958), "Hothouse" (1962), "Greybeard" (1964), the Helliconia trilogy (1982-85) and "Frankenstein Unbound" (1973), which in 1990 was the basis of the last film directed by Roger Corman.

He collaborated with Stanley Kubrick and then, after Mr. Kubrick's death in 1999, with Mr. Spielberg in transforming Mr. Aldiss's short story "Supertoys Last All Summer Long" into the emotionally challenging 2001 fairy tale "A.I." (the letters stand for "artificial intelligence"), about a bereft mother who consoles herself with a cybernetic son.

He also found grist in his personal life for autobiographical novels, like "The Hand-Reared Boy" (1970), and memoirs, including "The Twinkling of an Eye: My Life as an Englishman" (1998).

Full item here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/books/brian-aldiss-author-of-science-fiction-and-much-more-dies-at-92.html
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"