Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 07:17:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2017, 06:56:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 06:01:00 AM
Your faith in your Fuhrer is commendable.

:P

Not a fan of Merkel's, but show me a competent, viable alternative.

It is not like she is horrible or anything, I just don't think a democratic nation should be proud of a single leader having hold of it for so long. As you pointed out, at the very least that is a worrying sign on its political class, or voters, or both.

But didn't you love Maggie?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Germany hasn't exactly been suffering lately.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2017, 08:03:25 AM

It is not like she is horrible or anything, I just don't think a democratic nation should be proud of a single leader having hold of it for so long. As you pointed out, at the very least that is a worrying sign on its political class, or voters, or both.

Thatcher found a way to save the British economy and followed it through no matter of public opinion.

Merkel has had to be a decent leader not to mess up the economic possibilities, but basically she has been riding the waves of German Mitteleuropa, finally formed after two world wars failed to achieve it, and she just followed whatever was the popular public opinion at any given moment. e.g. the inane closure of nuclear power plants, because an island on the Pacific managed to get hit by one of the worst tsunamis of its history.

Josquius

.... Err..... Thatcher destroyed the British economy. Brexit can be traced right back to her door. :mellow:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2017, 08:49:19 AM
.... Err..... Thatcher destroyed the British economy. Brexit can be traced right back to her door. :mellow:

Oh you. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 08:21:19 AM

Thatcher found a way to save the British economy and followed it through no matter of public opinion.

Merkel has had to be a decent leader not to mess up the economic possibilities, but basically she has been riding the waves of German Mitteleuropa, finally formed after two world wars failed to achieve it, and she just followed whatever was the popular public opinion at any given moment. e.g. the inane closure of nuclear power plants, because an island on the Pacific managed to get hit by one of the worst tsunamis of its history.

All of which doesn't address your own point?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

How can you bloody say that with a straight face, seeing where the British economy has been for the past, what, 20 years? It is really selfish and arrogant to go "yeah we are the 5th strongest economy in the world, BUT THE COALMINES".

What Brexit can be traced back to is nostalgia toward a largely imagined glorious golden age for all citizens in the age of the empire. It is in fact your incredibly misplaced nostalgia toward the glory days of back-breaking coal mining financed by the taxpayers is what stems from the same root as the Leave vote.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2017, 08:56:26 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 08:21:19 AM

All of which doesn't address your own point?

I do not feel like my point is invalidated by my support for Thatcher's actions.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 08:58:26 AM

How can you bloody say that with a straight face, seeing where the British economy has been for the past, what, 20 years? It is really selfish and arrogant to go "yeah we are the 5th strongest economy in the world, BUT THE COALMINES".

What Brexit can be traced back to is nostalgia toward a largely imagined glorious golden age for all citizens in the age of the empire. It is in fact your incredibly misplaced nostalgia toward the glory days of back-breaking coal mining financed by the taxpayers is what stems from the same root as the Leave vote.

How can you say that with a straight face when recent events have so clearly proven me right?

Pushing half the country into poverty and trying to cram the entire economy into London has the effect of leaving vast numbers of disconnected,  poor, uneducated people looking for a convenient scapegoat to blame for their problems. Blimey. With hindsight it's kind of fucking obvious really.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah if only the south-eastern boom never have happened, the rest of the country would be better off!

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 09:33:45 AM
Yeah if only the south-eastern boom never have happened, the rest of the country would be better off!

They could have all been poor together. it build comradery
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2017, 09:06:08 AM
How can you say that with a straight face when recent events have so clearly proven me right?

Pushing half the country into poverty and trying to cram the entire economy into London has the effect of leaving vast numbers of disconnected,  poor, uneducated people looking for a convenient scapegoat to blame for their problems. Blimey. With hindsight it's kind of fucking obvious really.

The shift in wages and wealth towards London started long before thatcher's birth.  Claiming that it was a result of her "pushing" and "trying to cram" is simply an attempt at reconning Britain's past.  Blimey. With hindsight it's kind of fucking obvious really.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

QuoteThieves steal 20 tons of Nutella and chocolate treats in Germany
The missing cargo, worth up to £64,000, also includes Kinder Surprise eggs and other chocolate treats.
:huh: What are you doing with several tons of Nutella...?

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on August 16, 2017, 11:53:09 AM
The missing cargo, worth up to £64,000, also includes Kinder Surprise eggs and other chocolate treats.

YouTube videos.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on August 16, 2017, 11:53:09 AM

They were last seen heading towards Alaska.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.