News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Ezra Pound said something like Walt Whitman had only 30 good pages of poetry in "Leaves of Grass," but when he went back to look he couldn't find them.  I can't say that view is without merit; but I do think number 21 of "Song of Myself" would be one of those pages:

I am the poet of the Body and I am the poet of the Soul,
The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are
with me,
The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate
into a new tongue.

I am the poet of the woman the same as the man,
And I say it is as great to be a woman as to be a man,
And I say there is nothing greater than the mother of men.

I chant the chant of dilation or pride,
We have had ducking and deprecating about enough,
I show that size is only development.

Have you outstript the rest? are you the President?
It is a trifle, they will more than arrive there every one, and still
pass on.

I am he that walks with the tender and growing night,
I call to the earth and sea half-held by the night.

Press close bare-bosom'd night—press close magnetic nourishing
night!
Night of south winds—night of the large few stars!
Still nodding night—mad naked summer night.

Smile O voluptuous cool-breath'd earth!
Earth of the slumbering and liquid trees!
Earth of departed sunset—earth of the mountains misty-topt!
Earth of the vitreous pour of the full moon just tinged with blue!
Earth of shine and dark mottling the tide of the river!
Earth of the limpid gray of clouds brighter and clearer for my
sake!
Far-swooping elbow'd earth—rich apple-blossom'd earth!
Smile, for your lover comes.

Prodigal, you have given me love—therefore I to you give love!
O unspeakable passionate love.

I had been thinking about the lines about having outstript the rest in regards to Trump; but on re-reading a see Walt covers a lot of ground here. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Hey, my dad finally woke up.  He's been in a medically induced coma for nearly 4 weeks now and it was questionable if he would come out.  He's still pretty ill and he lost his foot, but he may very well survive. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Hoping for the best, Raz.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2017, 04:10:43 PM
Hey, my dad finally woke up.  He's been in a medically induced coma for nearly 4 weeks now and it was questionable if he would come out.  He's still pretty ill and he lost his foot, but he may very well survive.

Oh dear! What happened to him, Raz?? I hope he ends up coming out of it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2017, 08:14:55 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2017, 04:28:28 AM
Penn State.
I know they do American football there and the university has its own private town in the middle of nowhere.
How is it academically?

I've a friend starting there in my field and I'm curious.

I believe Trump went there.

No, he went to Penn, not Penn state.

Eddie Teach

By my count, that makes Reagan the last non-ivy President.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Wishing him a good convalescence, Raz. :hug:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on August 11, 2017, 04:24:49 PM

He's diabetic and he nearly drank himself to death.  It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2017, 05:44:30 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 11, 2017, 04:24:49 PM

He's diabetic and he nearly drank himself to death.  It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Yeah... I know that story all too well.  :hug: Hang in there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

This week has been fun plane watching at Wright Patterson. Early in the week, a Russian Open Skies plane played a visit and today I saw a AF command plane (E-4) parked way away from gate 26A.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 11, 2017, 08:33:33 PM
This week has been fun plane watching at Wright Patterson. Early in the week, a Russian Open Skies plane played a visit and today I saw a AF command plane (E-4) parked way away from gate 26A.

Yeah, saw you guys got trolled by a TupoLOLv Tu-154 this week  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2017, 08:47:10 PM

The last time they visited years ago, they went off base to eat out. I don't think they went off base this time. CAFETERIA FOOD FOR YOU
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 11, 2017, 08:50:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2017, 08:47:10 PM

The last time they visited years ago, they went off base to eat out. I don't think they went off base this time. CAFETERIA FOOD FOR YOU

Dining Facility.  :)

Or, at least, just about every AF base has a Burger King.  :P