Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Denmark is as anti-semitic as Russia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Do other continents get polls like this? It would be interesting.

But I agree I would like to see one where the question was simply 'outside of the ethnic group/religion' of the nation state in question.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Surprised by Czechs as well.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2017, 10:16:36 PM
Surprised by Czechs as well.

Since they are so uniformly hostile I assume it is because they want to keep everybody in the ethnic group.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

I wonder what the Czechs would think about a Slovak or a Pole
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2017, 09:52:18 PM
As it is part of the "Eurobarometer" of the European Union's Eurostat, I doubt that other continents have similar statistics agencies.

Josquius

I'm checking the English translations of the signs in a castle museum.

Just how would one in English distinguish between a keep and a donjon?
I have a clear image in my head of a stereotypical keep but where does the line lie.

Certainly the original translation of dungeon....no.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

A Donjon is the highest tower in the castle and it is where Prisoners used to be kept before they started sticking them underground. So it is exactly the same idea.

Josquius

Maybe it's that the keep must be a prominent central point whereas the donjon can be on a castle without a keep, it is built into the fortificaiton as a whole?

...But in Japanese castles the word donjon is always used for keeps....
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Dungeon and Donjon is another example of those false friends.
Dungeon is oubliettes or cachot in French.

Naturally, since the RPGs were translated as Donjons et Dragons, everything followed, in a bad, literal way.  ;)
So yes, Donjon = Keep in English.
Of course, Michael Mann's movie, the Keep, from the novel, was translated as La Forteresse Noire. Black Fortress. No, not the Lambert version, the latter would interest Viper though.  :P

The Brain

Some book I have on medieval castles says there's no difference between a keep and a donjon.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 13, 2017, 03:42:30 PM

Naturally, since the RPGs were translated as Donjons et Dragons, everything followed, in a bad, literal way.  ;)
Of course, Michael Mann's movie, the Keep, from the novel, was translated as La Forteresse Noire. Black Fortress. No, not the Lambert version, the latter would interest Viper though.  :P

In English Donjon means Donjon since it is a word in English and refers to the tallest tower. Now does Donjon mean Keep in French?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on August 13, 2017, 04:12:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2017, 09:52:18 PM
As it is part of the "Eurobarometer" of the European Union's Eurostat, I doubt that other continents have similar statistics agencies.

Pity. Thought Africa has a Union as well don't they?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2017, 05:40:54 PM

In English Donjon means Donjon since it is a word in English and refers to the tallest tower. Now does Donjon mean Keep in French?

Is this tallest tower fortified and/or does it serve as a prison?

A bit of overlap, according to word reference.com

QuoteAnglais      Français
dungeon n   (underground prison cell)   cachot nm
   Anyone caught trespassing will be taken to the dungeon.
dungeon,
donjon n   (castle: fortified keep)   donjon nm
   The king's rival has been kept in the dungeon for years.

Juste use donjon for donjon and all will be fine. :)

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2017, 05:40:54 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 13, 2017, 03:42:30 PM

Just to muddy the waters, my Chambers English dictionary has Donjon as "a strong central tower in ancient castles, to which the garrison retreated when hard pressed".

To me that sounds like the function of the keep.

But elsewhere the same dictionary makes what Duque describes as a mistake when it says dungeon originates from the old French donjon.    :hmm:

Incidentally I didn't go looking for the definition of dungeon, but it turned up exactly as the first entry of a page as I was working my way back to find donjon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"