News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Jaron on September 17, 2009, 04:17:40 PM
Isn't it cute how Euros think because they can convince their former slaves to side with them it somehow makes them right?

The USA will always be better than Europe, and what we say sets the standard. Live with it.

Assuming you refer to ICE HOCKEY.

Once again, it is interesting that the nation that likes to think of itself as the world's best democracy is unwilling to accept the will of the majority.

Assuming you refer to DRIVING ON THE LEFT

How do you explain Japan then?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 04:21:37 PM
<snip>
<snip>
<snip>
Nonononono.  I mean are you sure that greater than 34% of the world's population thinks of girl hockey when they hear the word "hockey."

Josquius

Cats are disgusting.
Two of them are trying to mate whilst their kids....well, two are sitting watching whilst the other is fluffing the mam cat. WTF.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2009, 03:41:51 PM
Y'know, we probably also have the majority of native English speakers. People who speak other languages don't really have a dog in that fight.

:huh: Ice Hockey may have a different name in other languages, but I am fairly sure they all make some reference to the word "Ice".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 04:30:43 PM
Nonononono.  I mean are you sure that greater than 34% of the world's population thinks of girl hockey when they hear the word "hockey."

:lmfao:

Talk about taking figures out of context! Do you work for the labour party, by any chance?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

MadImmortalMan

Chilean police say a young man distraught over a breakup with his girlfriend hanged himself while she watched over a web camera.

Deputy Inspector Carlos Court says 26-year-old Simon Venegas was chatting with his former girlfriend when he pointed his camera at a tree in a courtyard of his house.

Court says Venegas hung a rope over a branch and told his ex, "Watch what I'm going to do" and "I love you, take care", before hanging himself.

The horrified 23-year-old woman called Venegas' friends to stop him, but Court says they arrived too late. The couple broke up a year ago.

The suicide occurred on Friday in San Felipe, about 90km southeast of the capital of Santiago. Police announced it on Sunday.

* Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or SANE Helpline on 1800 18 SANE (7263).
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 04:35:46 PM
Talk about taking figures out of context! Do you work for the labour party, by any chance?
:huh:

No.  What are you talking about?

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 05:21:53 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 04:35:46 PM
:huh:

No.  What are you talking about?

Since that 34% figure was in a post of mine that quoted this post of Peter Wiggin.

QuoteQuote from: Peter Wiggin on Today at 19:31:27
So when are y'all going to drive on the right side of the road, seeing how you've been "outvoted" on the matter?

Peter understood what I was referring to - that 34% of the population of the world drove on the left. However, you are implying (and I hope I am wrong and you are just yanking my chain) that you understood this figure to refer to the discussion of the correct name of the sport of Ice Hockey.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 05:28:19 PM
Peter understood what I was referring to - that 34% of the population of the world drove on the left. However, you are implying (and I hope I am wrong and you are just yanking my chain) that you understood this figure to refer to the discussion of the correct name of the sport of Ice Hockey.
This is the post I was responding to.

QuoteAnyway, I still have 34% of the world's population on my side - that's better odds than you Northamericanos have with calling Ice Hockey "Hockey". 
I interpreted this to mean that less than 34% of the world's population call ice hockey "hockey."  If "calling ice hockey hockey" is some sort of British slang that refers to driving on the left side of the road, I do beg your pardon.

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 05:32:08 PM
I interpreted this to mean that less than 34% of the world's population call ice hockey "hockey."  If "calling ice hockey hockey" is some sort of British slang that refers to driving on the left side of the road, I do beg your pardon.

:huh: I think I am definitely having my chain yanked here, but I will bite...

QuoteAnyway, I still have 34% of the world's population on my side - that's better odds than you Northamericanos have with calling Ice Hockey "Hockey". 

I am stating that I am only outnumbered 2-1 when driving on the left, but (assuming a world population of six billion - out of date I know - and a North American population of about 340 million) this is still a better position to be in than Peter is in regard to calling Ice Hockey "Hockey" since he is outnumbered 17-1.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ed Anger

Okay, I am officially facepalming you fuckers.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2009, 05:46:48 PM
Okay, I am officially facepalming you fuckers.

Is that from before or after he ate the worms?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 05:42:14 PM
I am stating that I am only outnumbered 2-1 when driving on the left, but (assuming a world population of six billion - out of date I know - and a North American population of about 340 million) this is still a better position to be in than Peter is in regard to calling Ice Hockey "Hockey" since he is outnumbered 17-1.
We've come full circle.  That's progress of sorts I suppose. :)

17-1 is phony.  I'm pretty sure the average Russian, Swede, Finn, Norwegian and Czech thinks of the ice version before the pleated skirt version.  Germans, Ukrainians, Bylorussions and Balts I would think as well, but less sure.  Latin America you would get a gigantic "que?" if you mentioned hockey.  On your side you definitely have India and Pakistan (huge populations); other people have mentioned Southeast Asia.  If Indonesians play field hockey that's probably more than enough to tip the balance.  But no way by17-1.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 05:49:08 PM

Is that from before or after he ate the worms?

it is from when I read the last 4 pages of stupid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 06:03:54 PM

We've come full circle.  That's progress of sorts I suppose. :)

17-1 is phony.  I'm pretty sure the average Russian, Swede, Finn, Norwegian and Czech thinks of the ice version before the pleated skirt version.  Germans, Ukrainians, Bylorussions and Balts I would think as well, but less sure.  Latin America you would get a gigantic "que?" if you mentioned hockey.  On your side you definitely have India and Pakistan (huge populations); other people have mentioned Southeast Asia.  If Indonesians play field hockey that's probably more than enough to tip the balance.  But no way by17-1.

Groan....

Indonesia was mentioned in regard to driving on the left hand side of the road, by the way.

Incidentally, for six of the last eight years the award for top woman player in hockey has gone to an Argentinean. Not, of course, that referring to women's participation in hockey will help me at all with you NorthAmericanos...

However, pointing out that Germany is one of the strongest hockey sides in the world might, since their ice hockey team is nowhere near as illustrious.

Members of the International Hockey Federation:

Africa
Botswana  Egypt  Ghana  Kenya  Libya
Malawi  Morocco  Namibia  Nigeria  Seychelles
South Africa  Sudan  Tanzania  Togo  Uganda
Zambia  Zimbabwe

Asia
Afghanistan  Bangladesh  Brunei  Cambodia  China
Chinese Taipei  Hong Kong  India  Indonesia  Iran
Japan  Kazakhstan  Korea  Korea (DPR)  Macau
Malaysia  Mongolia  Myanmar  Nepal  Oman
Pakistan  Philippines  Qatar  Singapore  Sri Lanka