The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2017, 02:53:01 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2017, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2017, 12:07:00 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2017, 08:00:49 AM
What book would you recommend on the Spanish Succession War?

Just checked the ones I know but they don't seem to have English translations. Sorry.

Thanks!

The role genetics played in that conflict is explained here:  ;)

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0005174

Great pro-inbreeding article!  :D

QuoteWith respect to the high incidence of consanguineous marriages in the Spanish Habsburg dynasty it is necessary to take into account that, from a Western perspective, marriages between close biological relatives is generally regarded with suspicion and distaste, reflecting historical and religious prejudice. However, contrary to widespread opinion in Western countries, consanguinity is widely preferential in present large human populations of Asia and Africa where consanguineous marriages currently account for approximately 20–50% of all unions

Historical and religious "prejudice" based on fact I guess.  :P
I don't know where they get the "contrary to widespread opinion in Western countries" about  preferential consanguinity in the Third World. Herr Stasi 2.0 a.k.a Schäuble?  :lol:

QuoteTherefore, in the light of these data, the incidence of consanguineous marriages in the Spanish Habsburg dynasty does not seem so extreme when is considered in a general context of inbreeding in human populations.

Zanza

The G20 summit will happen on Friday and Saturday in Hamburg, Germany's second biggest city.

Next to tens of thousands peaceful protestors, the police expects up to 10,000 violent leftists rioting.

The police itself has moved more than 20,000 men into the city and asked for support from Austrian and Dutch special police units.

First minor squabbles have already seen massive police responses with water cannons and armored vehicles.

I expect that we'll see burning cars, smashed windows and massive riots over the weekend in Hamburg.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 05, 2017, 10:11:09 AM

I dunno if anyone would get the idea that inbreeding is a good idea from an article that scientifically proves the risk of damage it created for the Hapsburgs.  :hmm: I'd hardly call it a "pro-inbreeding article", just because the authors make a ritual gesture at cultural relativity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on July 05, 2017, 01:24:14 PM

I dunno if anyone would get the idea that inbreeding is a good idea from an article that scientifically proves the risk of damage it created for the Hapsburgs.  :hmm: I'd hardly call it a "pro-inbreeding article", just because the authors make a ritual gesture at cultural relativity.

QuoteIn this way, we may speculate that most of the symptomatology showed by Charles II could be explained by two different genetic disorders produced by detrimental recessive alleles at two unlinked loci. Evidently, the probability of an affected individual suffering from two very rare recessive traits must be very low but it must be taken into account that inbreeding may cause the association of two recessive traits even for unlinked loci

"May speculate, could be, may cause."

Not exactly proving, since they are not that assertive themselves, except in cultural relativism, as you pointed out.

PS: I would have thought the "pro-inbreeding" was to be taken in jest. ;)

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 05, 2017, 01:46:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 05, 2017, 01:24:14 PM

QuoteIn this way, we may speculate that most of the symptomatology showed by Charles II could be explained by two different genetic disorders produced by detrimental recessive alleles at two unlinked loci. Evidently, the probability of an affected individual suffering from two very rare recessive traits must be very low but it must be taken into account that inbreeding may cause the association of two recessive traits even for unlinked loci

"May speculate, could be, may cause."

Not exactly proving, since they are not that assertive themselves, except in cultural relativism, as you pointed out.

PS: I would have thought the "pro-inbreeding" was to be taken in jest. ;)

They proved the risk. They did not prove that the risk resulted in a particular diagnosis of the diseases afflicting a particular individual, so they are quite properly not definitive on that point. Though of course it is pretty likely that Charles "the hexed" was indeed ultimately a victim of inbreeding, even if the exact genetic disorders he suffered from can't be definitively proved.

That's the impact of genetics on this particular bit of history ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on July 05, 2017, 01:15:20 PM
The G20 summit will happen on Friday and Saturday in Hamburg, Germany's second biggest city.

Next to tens of thousands peaceful protestors, the police expects up to 10,000 violent leftists rioting.

The police itself has moved more than 20,000 men into the city and asked for support from Austrian and Dutch special police units.

First minor squabbles have already seen massive police responses with water cannons and armored vehicles.

I expect that we'll see burning cars, smashed windows and massive riots over the weekend in Hamburg.

Just realized the train ticket home I bought earlier takes me through Hamburg on Friday evening  :ph34r:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on July 05, 2017, 02:45:13 PM

Just realized the train ticket home I bought earlier takes me through Hamburg on Friday evening  :ph34r:

You're not forced to step down at Hamburg Altona to drop by the Herbertsstraße you know.  :P

Zanza

Friday evening/night is when this will escalate.

Just read that the G20 summit costs about 80-100 million. That's ridiculous.

CountDeMoney

Be sure to throw a Languish cocktail for me.  It's like a Molotov cocktail, but instead of catching on fire it just uses obscure inside references nobody in the crowd will get.

Admiral Yi

Anything in particular they're protesting?

citizen k

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2017, 03:45:01 PM

Just the opposite I imagine.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2017, 03:45:01 PM
The capitalist world order.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 05, 2017, 02:55:24 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 05, 2017, 02:45:13 PM

You're not forced to step down at Hamburg Altona to drop by the Herbertsstraße you know.  :P

Why would I go all the way to Hamburg for that?

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on July 05, 2017, 03:01:52 PM
Friday evening/night is when this will escalate.

Lucky me, fortunately I haven't shaved since Saturday and have nothing but black clothes left to wear  :)