News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Quote from: Jaron on September 16, 2009, 04:20:49 PM
Fuck you two Alci. I dare you to call me that to my face. I'll show you an insurgency.

Gonna go José on my ass? :p
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

Quote from: Agelastus on September 16, 2009, 04:07:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 04:02:44 PM
US, Canada, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc.

Before you go any further, you are aware of the names of the relevant international federations, aren't you?

Hockey (or "Field Hockey" as you would have it) is the "International Hockey Federation".
Ice Hockey is the "International Ice Hockey Federation".

And the name for the soccer federation is "Fédération International de Football Association".

We don't really care what silly Euros decide to call international federations. Hockey is on ice. Field Hockey is a sports so Nederlands can win Olympic medals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on September 16, 2009, 03:53:19 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 03:48:19 PM
Hockey is played on ice.

Field Hockey is played on grass.

In two countries out of two hundred and three.
The two that matter most.  The NHL plays on ice, not on grass.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

US, Canada, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc.

Before you go any further, you are aware of the names of the relevant international federations, aren't you?

Hockey (or "Field Hockey" as you would have it) is the "International Hockey Federation".
Neither of which matter at all.

National Hockey League.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Field Hockey is a sport for high school girls.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Agelastus

So, Grey Fox and Neil, I take it that Canada and the USA are not members of these Federations, given the fact that the correct names for these respective sports are so offensive to North American sensibilities? :rolleyes:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2009, 08:03:27 PM

Neither of which matter at all.

National Hockey League.

I was actually hoping he would provide evidence that any of the non-American countries he listed actually used the term "Hockey" in preference to "Ice Hockey".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josquius

Hockey is the default. Ice hockey has the extra element of ice (and so the skates that go with it). Its just common sense.
And of course its what everyone calls it (excluding seemingly Americans and Canadians in some sort of unholy alliance).

Also hockey is not necessarily played on grass/in a field. Its often played on a hard surface too. I've never played it on grass, at school it was always on hard ground.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Agelastus on September 16, 2009, 09:24:09 PM
So, Grey Fox and Neil, I take it that Canada and the USA are not members of these Federations, given the fact that the correct names for these respective sports are so offensive to North American sensibilities? :rolleyes:

We are. We just think their name is stupid. If the USA & Canada leave the IIHF it's just going to be Russian bullying you. It'd be a lot like the EU.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

There was a huge wasp flying around my apartment just now. It must have flown in during the day (I keep my windows open), and was up around the shades, because I didn't see it until I lowered the shades.

I managed to get it with the vacuum cleaner, which I then put in the closet. Hopefully it's dead... :unsure:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Malthus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 17, 2009, 07:16:00 AM
There was a huge wasp flying around my apartment just now. It must have flown in during the day (I keep my windows open), and was up around the shades, because I didn't see it until I lowered the shades.

I managed to get it with the vacuum cleaner, which I then put in the closet. Hopefully it's dead... :unsure:

Naw, you just imprisoned it in the dust bag. It will be sending out its pheremone distress signal around now, to summon the swarm for revenge.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2009, 04:38:49 PM
I bought that magazine once.

Yeah?  What do they talk about in it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2009, 06:48:44 AM
We are. We just think their name is stupid. If the USA & Canada leave the IIHF it's just going to be Russian bullying you. It'd be a lot like the EU.

Please rephrase..."a lot like the EU will be if they do not pay attention to recent events in Georgia and the Ukraine."

'Course, the EU is run by a bunch of retards who make imbeciles look clever, and the sooner UKIP becomes a credible enough force in UK politics to force the appropriate referenda the better.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be