News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Playing sports is for the poor, watching it is for the rich.

Though probably it is more like playing is for the young while watching it is for the old.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on June 15, 2017, 08:04:09 AM
They should do a Latin version of this old railway sign:

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2017, 10:26:45 AM
Playing sports is for the poor, watching it is for the rich.

The top four entries are playing sports.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

You're right.

I was only referring to baseball, football, and basketball there. The only real sports to my unconscious mind apparently  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Golf is barely a sport, it's a glorified lawn game.

Admiral Yi

I'm surprised at how upmarket watching football skews.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2017, 10:52:11 AM

Tickets are expensive & College Boosters are richer?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2017, 10:52:11 AM

I bet it is a function of age. Young people have things to do. This didn't apply to me: I spent my youth watching football. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2017, 10:56:14 AM

I figured it included watching on the idiot box.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2017, 10:59:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2017, 10:56:14 AM

I figured it included watching on the idiot box.

I think so too. Cable & Satellite packages are not cheap.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Watching baseball is a rich man's endeavor? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 15, 2017, 11:35:12 AM
Watching baseball is a rich man's endeavor?

Almost all professional sports are seeing their fans getting older and wealthier.  The exceptions appear to be NBA and MLS.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Just read about the Design Museum's California exhibit.

About the exhibition

How did California come to have such a powerful influence on contemporary design? California: Designing Freedom explores how the ideals of the 1960s counterculture morphed into the tech culture of Silicon Valley, and how 'Designed in California' became a global phenomenon.

The central premise is that California has pioneered tools of personal liberation, from LSD to surfboards and iPhones. This ambitious survey brings together political posters and portable devices, but also looks beyond hardware to explore how user interface designers in the San Francisco Bay Area are shaping some of our most common daily experiences. By turns empowering, addictive and troubling, Californian products have affected our lives to such an extent that in some ways we are all now Californians.

:swiss:(bear flag) :punk: :ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Well I certainly cannot deny that in Texifornia.