News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

DHL was supposed to deliver a package today that's been delayed because someone had slapped the wrong address on.

I was home all day, occasionally checking the tracking status. Last time at 4:50 pm. "Attempted delivery 4:42 pm. Recipient not home."

There's no delivery note anywhere in our building. My guess: guy ran out of time for deliveries today and went home.

I've told them to get their shit in order and do it again tomorrow morning.

Their smaller competitor DPD has a much nicer service: you can track the position of the delivery guy online, and you get an approximate time of delivery. DHL is apparently not rich enough to offer that service.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2017, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2017, 09:32:07 PM
Paid down my student loan, hopefully I'll now be able to enroll in school for this fall.

Yay! What do you want to take this fall Raz?

I am uncertain.  What gets you a good paying job?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2017, 10:59:58 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2017, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2017, 09:32:07 PM
Paid down my student loan, hopefully I'll now be able to enroll in school for this fall.

Yay! What do you want to take this fall Raz?

I am uncertain.  What gets you a good paying job?

An LL.B.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I'll be 36 in August, so I need something I can accomplish before becoming geriatric.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

You're bigger than Jesus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2017, 11:31:25 AM
I'll be 36 in August, so I need something I can accomplish before becoming geriatric.

I was just being snarky, as LL.B.s haven't been handed out in the US for over 40 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2017, 11:47:48 AM
I was just being snarky, as LL.B.s haven't been handed out in the US for over 40 years.

I thought there were US LLBs for people with law degrees from foreign countries to top up.

Accounting Raz.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2017, 11:50:50 AM

I thought there were US LLBs for people with law degrees from foreign countries to top up.

Accounting Raz.

If raz has a criminal/arrest record from past issues accounting might not be the way to go.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2017, 11:50:50 AM

Accounting Raz.

Something that plays to Raz's strengths, because I think he's said before numbers aren't his strong suit?

For what's it's worth I think Raz would do well studying journalism, he has a good writing style, excellent memory, ability to dig down into the details, determination on a given topic and awareness of how ideologies shape reporting and stances on public matters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2017, 12:09:15 PM
For what's it's worth I think Raz would do well studying journalism, he has a good writing style, excellent memory, ability to dig down into the details, determination on a given topic and awareness of how ideologies shape reporting and stances on public matters.

Not a lot of money in journalism in most case, I expect.

Jacob

I'd think that some sort of skilled technician in the health services might be a good way to go. Not doctor or nurse, but one of the countless people who administer tests or operates specialized machinery.

You'd probably want to do a bit of research, but it might be worthwhile. At least up here in Canada, those jobs pay reasonably okay and are in some demand.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2017, 12:15:51 PM

Money isn't everything.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2017, 12:23:02 PM

No, but he specifically said that he wants something that leads to a good paying job.

HVC

No, but it lets you buy the stuff that isn't money :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

But what it don't get, I can't use.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.