News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Unemployment down to 4.4%. 94 continuous months of expansion.

Couldn't be arsed to find the we're all going to starve because of robots thread.

Jacob

Eddie Teach

How are participation rates doing?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2017, 05:47:09 PM
Unemployment down to 4.4%. 94 continuous months of expansion.

Couldn't be arsed to find the we're all going to starve because of robots thread.

'Murica!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 05, 2017, 05:52:04 PM

Wasn't mentioned in the NPR segment.

They did mention wage growth depends on geography and sector.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2017, 05:53:42 PM
They did mention wage growth depends on geography and sector.

Unfortunately the sparsely populated regions of low wage, low education wrench turners have more electoral clout and political power than the more populous, affluent, educated and highly skilled city populations.  Hat's off to you, Iowan.  You won America.  :cheers:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I just came in my pencil case.  Squee.

dps

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2017, 03:07:19 AM
Electricity is a mistery?  :wacko:

Not really, but apparently spelling is.

crazy canuck

Declining in both Canada and the US especially for younger people looking for work - which is the main reason the unemployment rate in both countries is decreasing.

MadBurgerMaker

Blergh.  I can't get used to these glasses I got after going to the eye doctor yesterday, even after going with thinner framed versions to avoid the weird "frame around everything" feel. 

Need to just laser these things back to how they're supposed to be.  Alternatively, maybe squinting all the time when looking at stuff more than 10 feet away will become cool.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2017, 09:54:50 PM

Declining in both Canada and the US especially for younger people looking for work - which is the main reason the unemployment rate in both countries is decreasing.
I think that's way too strong of a statement, maybe even to the point of being completely factually false.  It's a perennial argument, usually by the political opposition supporters or habitual pessimists, that unemployment numbers are artificially low because a lot of unemployed are not counted as unemployed.  It's always a bullshit argument, at least in US.

Josquius

Are zero hours contracts a thing in America?

Probably fair to say the decline is not all down to number fudging but to say it is nothing to do with that is even more wrong.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2017, 10:35:15 PM
I think that's way too strong of a statement, maybe even to the point of being completely factually false.  It's a perennial argument, usually by the political opposition supporters or habitual pessimists, that unemployment numbers are artificially low because a lot of unemployed are not counted as unemployed.  It's always a bullshit argument, at least in US.

It's a sampling.  So yeah, there are a lot of unemployed people that are not counted as unemployed.