News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/02/british-couple-thought-all-inclusive-was-for-entire-island-of-rhodes-6610681/

A British couple who tried to walk away from a restaurant without paying told the owner they thought their all-inclusive holiday to Rhodes meant they could eat and drink for free anywhere on the island.
It sounds like the sort of excuse you'd make if you were trying to blag your way to a free meal, but according to Dimokratiki the middle-aged couple genuinely believed that was what they had paid for.

The owner, who runs a tavern on Hippocrates Square in the Greek island's Old Town, told the paper that the pair had tried to walk away but when they were asked to pay they showed them their wrist-bands from their resort.
Eventually, the couple agreed to pay after the owner explained to them that the all-inclusive aspect of the holiday only applied to the resort they were staying in.
Unbelievably, the owner, who has not been named, claimed this was not the first time the this happened at his restaurant, after tourists made the same mistake last year.
According to Fonien, local businesses in Greece have suffered when situated near hotels where all-inclusive packages have become the norm.

:bowler: :dunce:
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2017, 02:55:33 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/02/british-couple-thought-all-inclusive-was-for-entire-island-of-rhodes-6610681/

A British couple who tried to walk away from a restaurant without paying told the owner they thought their all-inclusive holiday to Rhodes meant they could eat and drink for free anywhere on the island.
It sounds like the sort of excuse you'd make if you were trying to blag your way to a free meal, but according to Dimokratiki the middle-aged couple genuinely believed that was what they had paid for.

The owner, who runs a tavern on Hippocrates Square in the Greek island's Old Town, told the paper that the pair had tried to walk away but when they were asked to pay they showed them their wrist-bands from their resort.
Eventually, the couple agreed to pay after the owner explained to them that the all-inclusive aspect of the holiday only applied to the resort they were staying in.
Unbelievably, the owner, who has not been named, claimed this was not the first time the this happened at his restaurant, after tourists made the same mistake last year.
According to Fonien, local businesses in Greece have suffered when situated near hotels where all-inclusive packages have become the norm.

:bowler: :dunce:

Good thing they didn't try this one on the local prostitutes or drug dealers.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Reminds me of the couple that complained to the hotel that their double room was just one room. Poor guy, I wonder if they had a "double bed" at home.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on May 04, 2017, 09:37:30 AM
There's a version of that in the United States as well.  In one episode they did the Ambassador Bridge (between Detroit and Windsor).  One of the cars had a human skull, and no paperwork for it.  Fortunately (what are the odds?) there was a forensic pathologist in line just a few cars behind him who was able to confirm that the skull was a historical artifact and the first guy wasn't some sort of Canadian Jeffrey Dahmer.

So was the first guy arrested for smuggling historical artifacts?

The Brain

Quote from: dps on May 04, 2017, 05:15:44 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 04, 2017, 09:37:30 AM
There's a version of that in the United States as well.  In one episode they did the Ambassador Bridge (between Detroit and Windsor).  One of the cars had a human skull, and no paperwork for it.  Fortunately (what are the odds?) there was a forensic pathologist in line just a few cars behind him who was able to confirm that the skull was a historical artifact and the first guy wasn't some sort of Canadian Jeffrey Dahmer.

So was the first guy arrested for smuggling historical artifacts?

It isn't really an artifact, is it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Nice day left work early. :showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2017, 08:27:41 AM
The only time my luggage was searched in front of me as I left the airport was in Japan as well.  Some young customs officer asked to search my bag.  Of course I had no choice.  Strangely, an older officer was standing next to him, and he was very apologetic.  Apparently he thought the young one made a mistake by choosing us, but he had to let him finish the search.  The old guy kept telling us in Japanese that he was sorry for the inconvenience etc. 

Similar happened to me at a ferry terminal in Japan.
I was the only foreigner so of course the young girl wanted to go through my entire baggage, opening food packages and seeming convinced I was obviously smuggling drugs (terribly).
A pretend happy old guy interviewed me as she did this.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Eye-Opening_Highlights_From_a_Creationist_Science_Textbook

QuoteA few months ago, I was reading about homeschooling, because I do things like randomly reading about homeschooling. I read an article that mentioned a family using science textbooks produced by Bob Jones University. (If you're not familiar, that's a large, for-profit, evangelical Christian university in South Carolina.) I had to see what one of those textbooks was like. I bought one for a few bucks on Amazon and a few slow shipping weeks later, I had my answer.

I purchased a copy of Science 4 for Christian Schools, an evangelical-written and -approved science textbook published in 1990. According to the stamp on the inside cover, my copy was previously owned by The Country Church & Country Christian School in Molella, Oregon. So, thanks guys!

And my favorite ... :

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Electricity is a mistery?  :wacko:

Eddie Teach

Do they charge for those textbooks?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

She needs to fill that bathtub, stand in it, and learn that electricity comes from Conair.

Josquius

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

It's about choice.  As in, I want the choice to have a stupid kid.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

I was reading about baroque music the other day and came across the term "Ricercar," and I thought, "Isn't that what Clint Eastwood told the Hmong kid not to do his Gran Torino?"  :unsure:

As it turns out it's a type of musical piece (the name comes from the Italian word for research) and has nothing to do with enormous spoilers.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock