And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2017, 01:34:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2017, 10:29:21 AM
So last night Timmy started talking about how maybe the leprechaun was going to come visit our house during the night and leave some gold.  He even drew some pictures and a card "for the leprechaun".  No idea where he got the idea from.  But my wife ran with it and went out and got those chocolate coins.  So this morning the kids were all excited that the leprechaun came to visit.

:huh:

Not to be a sour puss but isn't Tim a bit old for that kind of thing?  I mean, he teaches English in Korea.

And he does such a good job that bb named his kid after him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

The twins are showing an intrest in my book collection. Seeing that Glen Cook and Pournelle novels aren't on their level yet, I took them to the bookstore and bought the each the complete Harry Potter( :yuk:) and some bullshit Percy Jackson crap.

I should have let them read my ancient D&D novels. My wallet would stop crying then. OR HOW ABOUT RUBICON? The roman republic bloodletting is appropriate for 9 year olds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2017, 08:19:39 PM
The twins are showing an intrest in my book collection. Seeing that Glen Cook and Pournelle novels aren't on their level yet, I took them to the bookstore and bought the each the complete Harry Potter( :yuk:) and some bullshit Percy Jackson crap.

I should have let them read my ancient D&D novels. My wallet would stop crying then. OR HOW ABOUT RUBICON? The roman republic bloodletting is appropriate for 9 year olds.

I am surprised that the complete Harry Potter isn't...freely available in digital format  :pirate

Ed Anger

Let's see, I could wander around on the Internet, get malware and viruses. Or I could buy real books and get the kids away from a screen. You know, teach them not to be a autistic screech monkey like all the kids are today. MUH IPAD

Decisions, decisions.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Buy 'em the Phillip Pullman Dark Materials series.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Might be old enough for Dune?  A lot of darkness in that book, but these are Stephen King telepathic twins after all.  Who have been trained in nerf extermination.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I wonder if the name Sabine comes from the Sabines.
Not a great name for a kid really.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I've never heard of anyone with that name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Two sets of the same book series!

You're cheap old man cred is shot. Buy one a Harry Potter set, buy the other the Percy Jackson set and make them switch after they're done.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 19, 2017, 05:02:53 AM
I've never heard of anyone with that name.

In the UK I never have, but it's pretty common in Switzerland. In Germany and I think France too it is used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2017, 11:21:12 PM
Buy 'em the Phillip Pullman Dark Materials series.

My boys loved those books.  :yes:

Barrister

Should've bought them the Narnia books. :goodboy: :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.