And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2017, 02:42:03 PM
Well they are right beside each other.

Sure... but there doesn't seem to be anything to make it a high contrast comparison or otherwise invite thoughts about the specific two countries.

Is using juxtaposed as a synonym for "next to each other" with no further nuance standard American usage?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2017, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2017, 02:42:03 PM
Well they are right beside each other.

Sure... but there doesn't seem to be anything to make it a high contrast comparison or otherwise invite thoughts about the specific two countries.

Is using juxtaposed as a synonym for "next to each other" with no further nuance standard American usage?

SHUT UP
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I know whenever I see the Czech Republic and Slovakia juxtaposed I immediately think 'wow, Slovakia sucks.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Derspiess spells it "jukkkstaposed"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

So Tommy's basketball season ended last Saturday.  His team finished third place in the league.  They got participation medals.  Straight into the garbage!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Taking his medal from him and throwing it away is ineffective in the long run unless you actually beat him right then and there.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2017, 10:26:43 PM
Taking his medal from him and throwing it away is ineffective in the long run unless you actually beat him right then and there.

He didn't want it.  He said it didn't feel right, and wouldn't want to display it with his earned football trophies and baseball tournament medals.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2017, 10:38:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2017, 10:26:43 PM

He didn't want it.  He said it didn't feel right, and wouldn't want to display it with his earned football trophies and baseball tournament medals.

Is he going to do that with the bronze medal from the Beijing '22 games as well?

derspiess

Speaking of which, when are the Olympics going to be back in a normal country? 

CountDeMoney