And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2017, 01:53:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2017, 11:57:09 AM
And people who ass end other people for failure to maintain proper and safe braking distance would be charged, as the rear vehicle is the responsible party, so I would've had to lock Zanza up for driving like a maniac.

Is that true even if the other driver swerves into your lane and immediately slams the brake? You can't really maintain a safe braking distance to someone passing you.

The burden for proving that is on the rear driver, as the presumption of responsibility falls on that individual to follow at a reasonable speed and distance.  If someone is making a lane change into your lane, it's your responsibilty to drive accordingly.  It would still be investigated, but in the meantime citations could still be issued: hire a lawyer and request a jury trial.

But this is the Autobahn, and since so much depends on speed, it all kinda goes out the window anyway.  100 mph hitting cars at 70mph.  That's just silly.

Quite honestly, both could be charged.  But Zanza just made a move for my gun, so shit would get ratcheted up hardcore for him.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2017, 03:18:36 PM
The burden for proving that is on the rear driver, as the presumption of responsibility falls on that individual to follow at a reasonable speed and distance.  If someone is making a lane change into your lane, it's your responsibilty to drive accordingly.  It would still be investigated, but in the meantime citations could still be issued: hire a lawyer and request a jury trial.

Yeah. Which is why I've started looking into dashcams.

CountDeMoney

I have one :)

I really need to make my own Youtube channel; I have some real winners :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2017, 03:38:01 PM
I have one :)

I really need to make my own Youtube channel; I have some real winners :lol:

Yeah, I've got one that I still need to install. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Damn man, glad you're ok. Do you think the outcome would be far worse (and deadlier) if you didn't have such a secure car?

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob

Yeah. Which is why I've started looking into dashcams.
Dashcams are not court admissible evidence here.

The car has built in stereo cams and a front-facing radar anyway for its driving assistant features so if anything they should just add black boxes to the car like in aircrafts to keep all the sensor data.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2017, 05:19:40 PM
Damn man, glad you're ok. Do you think the outcome would be far worse (and deadlier) if you didn't have such a secure car?
Could be. My car had an automatic braking assistance for emergency situations which triggered, the anti-locking system of the brakes became active, the car fired the pyrotechnic pretensioners for the seat belts so we didn't get whiplash. When you read about those safety features it always sounds rather distant and sometimes over-engineered, but it's in a way amazing when it actually happens.

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on March 08, 2017, 08:09:11 PM

What's the logic of that? Illegal to record people without their permission? But presumably a public place would allow recording.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

What is it you drive, Zanza?  Some high end Mercedes?  Beemer M3?  Audi A5?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Nothing fancy. It was a company car, a Mercedes B class with a small diesel engine. It's basically a minivan for soccer moms. They don't sell that in the United States. Looks like this:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Quote from: HVC on March 08, 2017, 08:28:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 08, 2017, 08:09:11 PM

What's the logic of that? Illegal to record people without their permission? But presumably a public place would allow recording.
Just googled it and apparently the legal situation is unclear with some lower level courts admitting it, others not. The Federal Court of Justice has not ruled on it yet. The concerns are indeed mainly for privacy.

Monoriu

My wife once really wanted to have a Mercedes B class.  I showed her that it is crazy, because a Mercedes B class costs about the same as a Honda Accord, but the Accord is a lot bigger, much more comfortable and has a much more powerful engine.