And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 10:47:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 11, 2009, 10:40:35 AM
Who gets "groomed" on Languish? I suspect we are all generally too much the self-centred assholes. Our forum is less characterized by "grooming" and more by that other common primate habit: "feces-flinging". :D

Indeed, I was thinking of how it applies to places I go as she spoke.
For the forums she studied she even had cool graphs showing each member's 'standing'. I'll have to try and steal them sometime.

It was quite interesting stuff really, there was always a clear 'alpha'.
This one poster rose from nothing to being miles ahead of the others in references then she suddenly stopped posting one day....and after a while another poster (who started posting midway through the old one's reign and was rather middling) suddenly shot up to being the alpha.

I guess...with languish it would formerly have been Jaron with the poll options needing to have his name. But his social standing was one of lowest common denominator not high...
I think the forums she studied may have been too nice.

I have to try and steal her software tool to see what it says about here and other forums I go to.

How is "standing" measured? Number of posts referencing or quoting someone else?

Here on Languish, a spike in someone being quoted usually measures a lot of people mocking the person being quoted. Widespread mockery may mean low, not high, social status.

I don't think "social status" is so easily measured quantitatively. There are certainly posters whose views are accorded greater weight, but they are not necessarily the most active or most quoted; and indeed, being taken more seriously may not be the same as "high social status".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on September 11, 2009, 10:52:13 AM
POTM  :D

I'd put forward this contender.

Quote from: DPI've been waiting my whole life for a WWII Messenger Pigeon simulator   

Well, actually it's not as funny as it was last night.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on September 11, 2009, 10:55:30 AM
How is "standing" measured? Number of posts referencing or quoting someone else?

Here on Languish, a spike in someone being quoted usually measures a lot of people mocking the person being quoted. Widespread mockery may mean low, not high, social status.
You get a groom when someone quotes you/mentions your name (or a nickname), you give one away when you quote someone else.

Yeah, someone raised this point.
'Succesful trolls' appear as sudden spikes that rocket up briefly then vanish.
I suppose a regular poster in such a situation will be mocked in the stupid thread then ignored...
Usually.
In languish of course we like mocking the stupid continuously.
I will not of course point this place out to my teacher (even if she is rather cool as teachers go) :ph34r:
I guess I should mention this to her next time though even if not mentioning this place specifically...

I don't think "social status" is so easily measured quantitatively. There are certainly posters whose views are accorded greater weight, but they are not necessarily the most active or most quoted; and indeed, being taken more seriously may not be the same as "high social status".
The girl who was the 'alpha' wasn't the highest poster, she was towards the upper range but there were higher.
And yeah, I agree the guy who posts twice a year but everyone worships should really be regarded as god but....I dunno. I'll try and get hold of her paper to look into this properly.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 11:01:16 AM
You get a groom when someone quotes you/mentions your name (or a nickname), you give one away when you quote someone else.

Zero sum seems rather silly; it will just lead to the more oblivious posters(*cough* Mongers) having a higher "score" even though they aren't referenced as often.

PDH

Ape society is a bad analogy.  It is more totalitarianism overlaying tribal behavior.  Malthus can explain.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Korea

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 06:19:30 AM
South Park- The Coon.
:LOL:
I thought it'd be about black people though :(

I think there were some black people jokes though. Like the part where Cartman The Coon wants a sprite. :)
I want my mother fucking points!

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 11:01:16 AM

Son, you get a groom when you decide to unite with another man in holy matrimony.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Best t-shirt ever?

Front:

Back:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on September 10, 2009, 11:20:10 AM
Good to see "Neil" there with his name crossed out.
Interesting fact:  Paradox hasn't made a good game since I was banned.  Coincidence?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on September 12, 2009, 08:38:54 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 10, 2009, 11:20:10 AM
Good to see "Neil" there with his name crossed out.
Interesting fact:  Paradox hasn't made a good game since I was banned.  Coincidence?

Karma.

;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

swallow

Oh dear, I have to dress up as a Goth for a friend's birthday party and keep ending up looking like a Flamenco dancer

Eddie Teach

Flamenco- flouncy, colorful dress
Goth- tight fitting, black clothes

Hope that helps.  :P

swallow

:lol: Thank's for the fashion advice - it would normally work, but I just look like a flamenco dancer going to a funeral 

Eddie Teach

Put on lots of eye shadow and get a clip on nose ring?