News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Goes against my experience of internships.
The job interview side of it is very much a secondary consideration.
Internships are far more about making the company look good, socially responsible and open to the new ideas of the next generation; and cheap labour.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2016, 09:31:04 AM
Internships are far more about making the company look good, socially responsible and open to the new ideas of the next generation; and cheap labour.
I've been on the hiring side of internships.  We truly hired interns in order to audition them, so we put some effort into finding the best candidates and holding on to the ones who proved impressive at work.

Ed Anger

:yes:

You can get many fine padawans that way.

I also liked the ones who just wanted you to sign the paper so the could get the college credit.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 27, 2016, 06:54:37 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 27, 2016, 04:36:13 PM
Square Pegs?

Only a handful of us would even know that reference  :lol:  What a great show.

I'm one of them  :D (not sure that's good or bad). I was in Grade 9 when that came out...didn't last very long.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Great...my boiler's broken. :(

The last time it broke down, a few years' back, it was over the New Year as well. :mad:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on December 30, 2016, 01:31:49 PM
Great...my boiler's broken. :(

The last time it broke down, a few years' back, it was over the New Year as well. :mad:

Well as they say, new year, new boiler.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Top stories today are all concerning various fireworks that has been recalled because they're either malfunctioning or more powerful than stated on the package.

I really don't get how fireworks is legal anyway. 5-6 days a year it's apparently okay to blow up mailboxes, vending machines, etc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Looks like I'm going to spend the new year on a train, flight delayed :(
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Annnd they just cancelled it and I can't get away to Monday :ultra:
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2016, 09:41:57 AM
Annnd they just cancelled it and I can't get away to Monday :ultra:

:(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2016, 09:33:39 AM
I've been on the hiring side of internships.  We truly hired interns in order to audition them, so we put some effort into finding the best candidates and holding on to the ones who proved impressive at work.

I agree with your premise but in this circumstance they all showed terrible judgment.   They had already asked their respective managers if the policy could be relaxed and they were told that it would not be possible.  So then they decided to sign a petition.   :frusty:

celedhring

I got hired at my first internship, and they told me it was pretty much company policy to hire from interns, since they already knew what they were getting.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2016, 09:59:33 AM
I got hired at my first internship, and they told me it was pretty much company policy to hire from interns, since they already knew what they were getting.

The length of time it takes to teach them how to do the job obviously depends on the job.  If it takes a long time then it is best to cut your losses with the ones who show early signs that they will not make it.  The ones that seem capable of learning how to do the work are the keepers. The ones who think they already know how things should be run, not so much.

typically articled students come in thinking they know all about the law.  The really bright ones realize quickly that there is a lot to learn. 

Josquius

At my company it is how I said. I'm pretty friendly with the lady who runs the internship program in our department.
Interns are pretty much there for social responsibility reasons.  Shows the company helping out the local community,  giving kids business experience,  etc... 
Very few of them ever get a job at the end of it, nor are they expecting one.
The deal as understood by both parties is they get a solid year of experience on their cv and the company gets some cheap labour to perform various tasks which are either labour intensive or involve learning how to use a piece of software nobody knows how to use.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 31, 2016, 09:52:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2016, 09:33:39 AM

I agree with your premise but in this circumstance they all showed terrible judgment.   They had already asked their respective managers if the policy could be relaxed and they were told that it would not be possible.  So then they decided to sign a petition.   :frusty:
But the first mistake was the petition, asking the managers was fine.  It was a pretty big error of judgment, but canning someone fo their first mistake is a bit harsh and counter-productive (unless it indicates lack of integrity or truly catastrophic judgment).