The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 31, 2016, 10:59:56 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 31, 2016, 09:52:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2016, 09:33:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2016, 09:31:04 AM
Goes against my experience of internships.
The job interview side of it is very much a secondary consideration.
Internships are far more about making the company look good, socially responsible and open to the new ideas of the next generation; and cheap labour.
I've been on the hiring side of internships.  We truly hired interns in order to audition them, so we put some effort into finding the best candidates and holding on to the ones who proved impressive at work.

I agree with your premise but in this circumstance they all showed terrible judgment.   They had already asked their respective managers if the policy could be relaxed and they were told that it would not be possible.  So then they decided to sign a petition.   :frusty:
But the first mistake was the petition, asking the managers was fine.  It was a pretty big error of judgment, but canning someone fo their first mistake is a bit harsh and counter-productive (unless it indicates lack of integrity or truly catastrophic judgment).

Depends on how severe one considers the mistake.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Internships are far more about making the company look good, socially responsible and open to the new ideas of the next generation; and cheap labour.
I've been on the hiring side of internships.  We truly hired interns in order to audition them, so we put some effort into finding the best candidates and holding on to the ones who proved impressive at work.

I agree with your premise but in this circumstance they all showed terrible judgment.   They had already asked their respective managers if the policy could be relaxed and they were told that it would not be possible.  So then they decided to sign a petition.   :frusty:
But the first mistake was the petition, asking the managers was fine.  It was a pretty big error of judgment, but canning someone fo their first mistake is a bit harsh and counter-productive (unless it indicates lack of integrity or truly catastrophic judgment).

Yes, asking the managers was fine.  Signing a petition after already being told no is just so amazingly stupid that I can fully understand why a judgment was made that there was no point in carrying on with the ones who signed it.

The Brain

College teaches kids to be morans.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 29, 2016, 06:17:02 PM
All dress codes are stupid.

The codes are fine; it's the employees who are stupid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I'm reminded of the guys in the army who whined about the officers. They were always the worst fucking soldiers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

If they were any good, they'd have their officers fired.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 31, 2016, 12:14:44 PM

Yes, asking the managers was fine.  Signing a petition after already being told no is just so amazingly stupid that I can fully understand why a judgment was made that there was no point in carrying on with the ones who signed it.

Which was all but one of them apparently. Even if you really want to fire them all, it seems logistically unwise to do so. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 01, 2017, 11:09:10 PM

Which was all but one of them apparently. Even if you really want to fire them all, it seems logistically unwise to do so.

Tim, I can't speak for everywhere, but in my experience interns are completely useless as productive assets. The most common use of them (that I've seen) is for recruiting, and in that way they can often actually be a negative drain on productivity (they may only be there 2 or 3 months, there is a push to give them high impact work to test their skills and make them prone to accept an offer, which combines to lots of training, lots of corrections to their work, and before they ever start to get the hang of it, they are gone).

I've also seen interns added because some exec made a promise to do so at his church group, and it was actually pointless in every way.

I've never been in a place where firing all the interns would present logisitical problems. Though I'm sure such places exist.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

You might have to fetch your own lunch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

In some Vienna subway stations some old phone booths are getting replaced with vending machines for cell phone accessories:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 02, 2017, 03:07:26 AM
In some Vienna subway stations some old phone booths are getting replaced with vending machines for cell phone accessories:

We have had those for years over here. I have bought a thing or two off them  :blush:

Josephus

I've seen them in every airport I've been in in the last few years.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I'm sure the only reason the cluster of phone boxes near my metro station still exists is that it is where the drug dealers do their business.

And the only reason the nearby public toilets exist are for users.
██████
██████
██████