News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The 27 new jet fighters we bought from our very good friends, the Americans, have just become a bit more expensive because we have to buy extra parts for it so as to have a reserve because they're already going out of production. The planes won't begin construction for 2 more years.

Geez. Should've gotten the Swedish ones.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

You shouldn't have resisted in 1659.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Liep on November 15, 2016, 04:40:15 PM
The 27 new jet fighters we bought from our very good friends, the Americans, have just become a bit more expensive because we have to buy extra parts for it so as to have a reserve because they're already going out of production. The planes won't begin construction for 2 more years.

Geez. Should've gotten the Swedish ones.

:unsure:  I don't understand.  They're going out of production, but won't be produced for two more years?  What plane did they buy? 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2016, 04:17:33 PM
SNL has opened with non-humour acts in the past. The show in the aftermath of the Paris attacks last year comes to mind.

So the message being sent is that the election is comparable to two terrorist attacks (Paris and 9/11)?
If so I get the backlash.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2016, 04:58:44 PM
SNL has opened with non-humour acts in the past. The show in the aftermath of the Paris attacks last year comes to mind.

So the message being sent is that the election is comparable to two terrorist attacks (Paris and 9/11)?

Yeah, that's my point.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 05:00:22 PM
Yeah, that's my point.

Ok
But where were you and DS when SNL did that ridiculous hour long advertisement for the Trump primary campaign last year?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2016, 05:02:39 PM
Yeah, that's my point.

Ok
But where were you and DS when SNL did that ridiculous hour long advertisement for the Trump primary campaign last year?

I don't know. Was it posted here? I don't normally watch SNL. I started watching because of their great parody of Trump by Alec Baldwin.

Ideologue

Of course it is.  [CDM]Maybe you'll even get to find out how comparable it is![/CDM]

A joke candidate who doesn't respect liberal democratic norms and appears to be a complete retard (that is, if he's not legitimately, medically demented) won the American presidency by something like negative two million votes, put paid any hope of a legitimately-composed nine-member Supreme Court, and only God knows what will happen during the next four years.  It would not necessarily have been appropriate for McCain winning or even Mitt Romney winning--that is, such open partisanship may not have been appropriate for the 2008 and 2012 elections, which did not feature such high stakes, or such obvious anti-democratic rhetoric, or (to repeat) such blatant anti-democratic results.  But it was deeply appropriate for 2016.  Indeed, trying to be overtly funny would have been grotesque.  (And not just because it's SNL, although that obviously has never helped it.)  Certainly, I found John Oliver's stupid mugging on Sunday to angry up my blood.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2016, 05:02:39 PM
Yeah, that's my point.

Ok

Looking back at my calendar, I was at a friend's house for his birthday that night.  Did not watch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Yeah, that's my point.

You know, I can think of no one more qualified than you to determine which gestures are in good taste, and which are not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

I don't mean to equate them, I only wanted to say that it's not unheard of and just recalled another time when that happened.

Ideologue

Are we actually equating Paris to 9/11?  Paris was just three or four Orlandos.  Whereas 9/11 was roughly sixty Orlandos' worth of dead people, plus two major American landmarks (and WTC 7) worth several dozen billion dollars apiece, plus nasty physical damage to the Pentagon, plus four aircraft, plus a near-run thing regarding the destruction of the Capitol Building or the White House, plus the psychic damage inherent in having symbols of American power turned against it, and used to destroy other symbols of American power...

The point is, all sorts of different things can be bad--and even if you think it's a false equivalence, it doesn't fucking make the other bad thing not bad.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 06:21:13 PM
Bill Burr is my new fucking hero:

https://youtu.be/wWD50H37Duc

Should have taken some of Heisenberg's money. He isn't God.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 15, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 06:21:13 PM
Bill Burr is my new fucking hero:

https://youtu.be/wWD50H37Duc

Should have taken some of Heisenberg's money. He isn't God.  :P

That went over my head. :P