News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2016, 11:20:26 AM
Why does the word garnish mean to add something to food but legally to take money away? :hmm:

QuoteFrom Middle English garnischen, from Old French garniss-, stem of certain forms of the verb garnir, guarnir, warnir ‎("to provide, furnish, avert, defend, warn, fortify, garnish"), from a conflation of Old Frankish *warnjan ‎("to refuse, deny") and *warnōn ‎("warn, protect, prepare, beware, guard oneself"), from Proto-Germanic *warnijaną ‎("to worry, care, heed") and Proto-Germanic *warnōną ‎("to warn"); both from Proto-Indo-European *wer- ‎("to defend, protect, cover"). Cognate with Old English wiernan ‎("to withhold, be sparing of, deny, refuse, reject, decline, forbid, prevent from, avert") and warnian ‎("to warn, caution, take warning, take heed, guard oneself against, deny"). More at warn.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

.....well that kind of ruins the mystery.
Damn coincidences

"I'm the main character of a harem manga, but I'm gay so every day is hell for me."

http://imgur.com/gallery/T6ryU

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Holy shit. Nobody strikes like a miner.   :blink:

Bolivian deputy interior minister kidnapped and beaten to death by striking miners

Striking miners in Bolivia kidnapped and beat to death the country's deputy government minister after he travelled to the area to mediate in the bitter conflict over mining laws, officials said on Thursday.

Government minister Carlos Romero called it a "cowardly and brutal killing" and asked the miners to hand over the body of deputy minister Rodolfo Illanes.

Earlier, Mr Romero said that Illanes had been kidnapped and possibly tortured, but local media reports that he had been killed by the miners had not been confirmed.

But on Thursday Mr Romero and Reymi Ferreira, defence minister, said that the vice minister of government had been beaten to death by the miners, who are demanding more rights, including the right to associate with private companies.

Illanes had gone to Panduro, a town 80m (130km) south of the La Paz, where the strikers have blockaded a highway since Monday, to open discussions.

Thousands of passengers and vehicles are stranded on roads blocked by the strikers. The government had earlier said that the 56-year-old Illanes had been kidnapped and was at risk of being tortured.

The strike has turned violent recently with two protesters being killed and riot police failing to clear a highway in a western part of the mining-dependent Andean nation.

"We have been able to see close up that vice minister Illanes was dead. Colleagues told us that he had died of a beating," Moises Flores, the director of a mining radio station had told local radio.

The National Federation of Mining Cooperatives of Bolivia (FENCOMIN), once strong allies of leftist president Evo Morales, began what they said would be an indefinite protest after negotiations over mining legislation failed.

Protesters have been demanding more mining concessions, the right to work for private companies, and greater union representation.

Still remember the last big miner strike in Spain a few years ago, since they had access to explosives they fired makeshift RPGs at the police.

Martinus

This calls for Zombie Thatcher.

CountDeMoney

It's like an after-school model rocketry club.  Only horizontal.  And collectivist.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2016, 08:21:22 PM
QuoteCover Letter Specifically Tailored To Company Even Sadder Than Generic Ones
NEWS IN BRIEF
August 23, 2016
Vol 52 Issue 33    Local · Workplace · Jobs

BEDMINSTER, NJ—Wincing noticeably as they read the applicant's claim that he has "always wanted to work for the leading midsize pharmaceutical advertising and brand strategy group in the tri-state area," sources at Percepta Healthcare Communications confirmed Tuesday that a cover letter specifically tailored to their company was much sadder than any of the generic ones they had received for a recently posted job opening. "Oh God, listen to this: 'The company's mission of optimizing multi-platform engagement through strategic and creative brand-centric marketing solutions really resonates with me'—boy, this poor guy really did some research," said senior account executive Melanie Bittle while shaking her head in pity for the job candidate, whose proclaimed admiration for the firm's 2014 Med Ad News Agency Of The Year award made his application significantly more depressing than any of the vaguely worded and nondescript ones that were submitted for the entry-level copywriter position. "Look, he references three separate campaigns we've worked on, and here he even mentions our vice president by name. Jesus, this is so much more pathetic than all the regular copy-and-pasted cover letters we got, half of which weren't even addressed correctly." At press time, Percepta staffers were reportedly struggling to read through an absolutely heartbreaking follow-up email sent by the applicant stating that he was "still very much interested in the position" and "really looking forward to hearing back soon."

:lol:

:unsure:

:cry:

Meh, this isn't one of the Onion's better pieces.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2016, 06:40:32 AM
Meh, this isn't one of the Onion's better pieces.

They lose their edge the closer they get to the truth.

DGuller

They get to the truth all right, but then they beat at it with a sledgehammer when a scalpel is called for.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

WTF is that?  Are you browsing with a Commodore 128 or something?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2016, 10:46:02 AM
WTF is that?  Are you browsing with a Commodore 128 or something?

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2016, 03:03:16 AM
Continuing my great streak, my flight is delayed...

Also either city airport has their metal detector turned way up or I'm crying foul. I've two rings on and I 'set off' the detector. Good to know I've no bomb residue on my hands! :o

You're probably just (rightly) being profiled.

Josquius

Garbon can pass for asian right. :hmm:

I was profiled in Barcelona airport as a young man travelling alone.... then they saw i was with a female friend so said "oh. Go on. It's ok"
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 27, 2016, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2016, 03:03:16 AM
Continuing my great streak, my flight is delayed...

Also either city airport has their metal detector turned way up or I'm crying foul. I've two rings on and I 'set off' the detector. Good to know I've no bomb residue on my hands! :o

You're probably just (rightly) being profiled.

Rightly? :hmm:

I think it could be easily argued that they are wasting time if their profile gets them to give additional screening to a person like myself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.