Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2011, 08:40:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2011, 02:35:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 21, 2011, 08:52:01 AM
This one is for Ide. A 4.5 billion dollar gold plated yacht.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/bn-gold-plated-superyacht-the-history-supreme-wows/story-e6frfqf9-1226098872900

:)

The author of the article's opinion on anything is made suspect by this sentence:

QuoteThe vessel even outshines Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich's $450 million yacht Eclipse, which has its own missile defence system and a submarine.

No, I'm pretty sure I could have a lot more fun with yacht that has missiles than the yacht that's really heavy.

For a Russian Oligarch, a missile defense system isn't a luxury, it's a good investment.  You'll always have to worry about the chance that Putin will want you to contribute your fortune for the good of Russia/Putin.  Not that I'm implying he made the money honestly.  Show me a successful Russian business man and I'll show you a crook.
Maybe he wants to sail around the horn of Africa? Hell, a Russian might find that fun.

I hope that Malaysian guy bought some defenses too, Indonesian waters aren't that safe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2011, 11:05:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2011, 08:40:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2011, 02:35:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 21, 2011, 08:52:01 AM
This one is for Ide. A 4.5 billion dollar gold plated yacht.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/bn-gold-plated-superyacht-the-history-supreme-wows/story-e6frfqf9-1226098872900

:)

The author of the article's opinion on anything is made suspect by this sentence:

QuoteThe vessel even outshines Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich's $450 million yacht Eclipse, which has its own missile defence system and a submarine.

No, I'm pretty sure I could have a lot more fun with yacht that has missiles than the yacht that's really heavy.

For a Russian Oligarch, a missile defense system isn't a luxury, it's a good investment.  You'll always have to worry about the chance that Putin will want you to contribute your fortune for the good of Russia/Putin.  Not that I'm implying he made the money honestly.  Show me a successful Russian business man and I'll show you a crook.
Maybe he wants to sail around the horn of Africa? Hell, a Russian might find that fun.

I hope that Malaysian guy bought some defenses too, Indonesian waters aren't that safe.

Actually, that's probably not a good selling point for that yacht: constructed largely from several hundred million dollars worth of highly fungible material that's still extremely valuable when it's melted down or sold piecemeal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Huh, I was sure the buyer would be this guy...

Slargos

Razgovory

I had the strangest dream.  I dreamt I was a Napoleonic officer leading my men against the British in northern Germany.  I don't normally dream about things like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Just applied to a fucking Walgreen's.  I am soooo glad I continued my studies.  Nothing spells contentedness like someone with post-graduate education working for ten bucks an hour with people barely able to read and write, for people who had their first abortion in 9th grade.  Actually, you know what else spells contentedness?  C-U-N-T.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2011, 01:37:26 PM
Just applied to a fucking Walgreen's.  I am soooo glad I continued my studies.  Nothing spells contentedness like someone with post-graduate education working for ten bucks an hour with people barely able to read and write, for people who had their first abortion in 9th grade.  Actually, you know what else spells contentedness?  C-U-N-T.

My younger brother is doing the same thing. Master of Science working a gas station. The new reality is a bitch.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

I hate it when word fails to recognise words. Vandalisation is real damn you!
██████
██████
██████

garbon

:blink:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2011, 02:03:41 PM

:blink:

I was probably exaggerating to some degree about my putative coworkers.  Some of them might have decided to keep their baby and not finish high school, for example.

Or is it the stooping-so-low thing?  It's not like it's the only job I've applied to. :P I've got a lot of stuff in with the Department of Labor and recently applied to a job with the Department of the Army.

I think I might be doing something wrong with the DoL jobs, though.  They want you to upload your college transcripts, right, but they only allow one file.  So I just uploaded a copied version of my unofficial law transcript, but maybe they want a .pdf of my official one?  Or do they want a compiled .pdf of both my transcripts?  It's a little asinine, anyway, since believe it or not, I could fake a college transcript, and having me upload a document is no more confirmation I actually went to a school than me just stating "I went to such-and-such school."

But in any event, I'd think I'd have a better chance with the "real" jobs.  Who in their right mind would hire a J.D. as a cashier or a pharm tech?

Quote from: MIMMy younger brother is doing the same thing. Master of Science working a gas station. The new reality is a bitch.

I'd become unto Slargos working in a gas station around here.  "Y'ALL SELL LOOSIES HERE?"
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Hey Ide - just to cheer you up, I saw this in the paper today and thought of you:

QuoteShe was already a fan of another stroller made by Bugaboo, the Chameleon, which she used with her now 15-month-old son. "For me, it didn't make sense to wait," she says, admitting that, including about $350 in customs duties and taxes, she paid close to $2,000. She knows that seems like a lot to spend.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/infant/infant-trends/meet-the-1500-stroller/article2105475/

;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

It's a cube-shaped world, my friend.
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2011, 02:48:54 PM
It's a cube-shaped world, my friend.

and resistance is futile.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Just been listening to Mark Divine, ex-US Navy SEAL on a bbc radio program ...
very thoughtful guy, he denied they were heroes and said he regarded reserved appellation for people like Gandhi and MLK. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

You sure he didn't say MSG?