News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Is it like a school holiday in the UK or something? Seems like half of my company on annual leave and half of the rest is just offline.

Richard Hakluyt

It is half-term for schools in some areas.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

In Dutch peanut butter is called peanut cheese.
DISCUSS
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

The Dutch are weird in many ways. It's no more right than butter. Both are inaccurate description of grounded peanuts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on October 24, 2022, 05:01:23 AMIn Dutch peanut butter is called peanut cheese.
DISCUSS

Butter couldn't be used as it was a protected name at the time.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2022, 03:34:13 AMIs it like a school holiday in the UK or something? Seems like half of my company on annual leave and half of the rest is just offline.

Do you work with a lot of Indians?  Today is Diwali.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on October 24, 2022, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2022, 03:34:13 AMIs it like a school holiday in the UK or something? Seems like half of my company on annual leave and half of the rest is just offline.

Do you work with a lot of Indians?  Today is Diwali.

Not that many and I definitely didn't mean them. I know its Diwali by the way from the constant fireworks in the distance at the evenings.  :D

The Brain

A king cobra (answers to Sir Hiss) is on the loose in Stockholm, so if you visit now watch your step.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UA9hj4u4c

According to this cast member of The Wind That Shakes the Barley, the origin of the expression "break a leg" has to do with the windlass for hauling up a stage curtain, which was called a leg.

Funky.  I always wondered where that came from.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 12:45:03 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UA9hj4u4c

According to this cast member of The Wind That Shakes the Barley, the origin of the expression "break a leg" has to do with the windlass for hauling up a stage curtain, which was called a leg.

I've had this discussion with the theater guy at my school, and he doesn't think that "break a leg" comes from the side curtain (the leg) and the idea that appearing from behind it means that someone gets to appear on stage unexpectedly.  He thinks it comes from the Germans who humorously used the Yiddish phrase (I don't recall it) that meant "good luck" in Yiddish but sounded just like "break a leg" in German.  It was a way to say "good luck" without jinxing someone. It came to the US via Jewish immigrants from Germany (in this theory). 

The curtain theory doesn't really work anyway:  it would be "break the leg" in that usage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

i heard that it was a play on making being casted. ie when you break a leg you put it in a cast. that's why its only used on opening night (when you officially make the cast). 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2022, 09:43:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 12:45:03 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UA9hj4u4c

I've had this discussion with the theater guy at my school, and he doesn't think that "break a leg" comes from the side curtain (the leg) and the idea that appearing from behind it means that someone gets to appear on stage unexpectedly.  He thinks it comes from the Germans who humorously used the Yiddish phrase (I don't recall it) that meant "good luck" in Yiddish but sounded just like "break a leg" in German.  It was a way to say "good luck" without jinxing someone. It came to the US via Jewish immigrants from Germany (in this theory). 

The curtain theory doesn't really work anyway:  it would be "break the leg" in that usage.

The German version is "Hals- und Beinbruch", i.e. "break neck and leg (or bone, Bein is also an old word for bone in German, still used e.g. in anatomy  - collarbone = Schlüsselbein). In a lecture on language history I attended at university the professor also said it's likely coming from a Yiddish/Hebrew blessing or wish for good luck that sounds very similar.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Monthly base salary of each Head of Government in the EU (left) and the multiple over that country's median wage (right).

Hungary  :lol:

(and Orban's salary is probably the least of his "income sources").

Zanza

I make more than some EU heads of government.  :hmm: Or maybe it is because it is their "base" salary?