News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2022, 02:56:54 AMJust noticed a funny thing in English.
Barring means except for. You can't eat any fruit barring apples. You can eat the apples.
Barred meanwhile means banned. Eating apples is barred. You can't eat them
Strange how it developed in two directions.

It's the same root concept.  You can't eat any fruit barring apples means apples are excluded from the statement.  Barred means banned means excluded.

alfred russel

Last night I was at a climbing gym with my wife and a few friends: you get to name a route if you are the first to successfully climb it. The hardest route in the gym -- something you'd have to be a fairly elite climber to climb -- was named "SPQR". I got excited--somewhere in teh city is a super good climber that is also a roman history nerd! My wife was skeptical that SPQR has anything to do with roman history and thought it might be the first letters of his kids names or something. She said it was a coincidence: any 4 letters have probably been an abbreviation at some point.  :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Maybe he couldn't afford a vowel?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on October 21, 2022, 05:55:04 AMLast night I was at a climbing gym with my wife and a few friends: you get to name a route if you are the first to successfully climb it. The hardest route in the gym -- something you'd have to be a fairly elite climber to climb -- was named "SPQR". I got excited--somewhere in teh city is a super good climber that is also a roman history nerd! My wife was skeptical that SPQR has anything to do with roman history and thought it might be the first letters of his kids names or something. She said it was a coincidence: any 4 letters have probably been an abbreviation at some point.  :lol:
Unfortunately that kid's name is Septus Publius Quintillus Romulus :(
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2022, 06:28:51 AMUnfortunately that kid's name is Septus Publius Quintillus Romulus :(

:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on October 21, 2022, 05:55:04 AMLast night I was at a climbing gym with my wife and a few friends: you get to name a route if you are the first to successfully climb it. The hardest route in the gym -- something you'd have to be a fairly elite climber to climb -- was named "SPQR". I got excited--somewhere in teh city is a super good climber that is also a roman history nerd! My wife was skeptical that SPQR has anything to do with roman history and thought it might be the first letters of his kids names or something. She said it was a coincidence: any 4 letters have probably been an abbreviation at some point.  :lol:

While your wife is probably right, it doesn't matter. Perception is everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2022, 02:56:54 AMJust noticed a funny thing in English.
Barring means except for. You can't eat any fruit barring apples. You can eat the apples.

Those seem pretty related - in the first, the apples are barred (banned) from the scope of "fruit".  It's even clearer if you rephrase the first to "Barring apples, you can do whatever you want with any kind of fruit."

e;f,b.

Savonarola

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2022, 04:33:06 AM

One is a preposition, one a verb.  As a noun, there are more than a dozen meanings.

If you want an example of a verb that has contradictory meanings, look up "sanction."

"Dust" and "Cleave" can be their own antonyms as well.

I think one of the weirdest thing about English is that one of the most common verbs "Can" is defective; it doesn't even have an infinitive form.  In translation you have to use the compound verb "To be able to" in a number of tenses.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Looks like Spain is deploying some pretty advanced fighters in a NATO mission in Bulgaria.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Zanza

The picture shows an X-Wing from Star Wars.

celedhring

That said, I wonder how effective an X-Wing would be in our world, the Star Wars universe doesn't seem to have much in the way of guided munitions, it's all about old-style dogfighting. I guess deflector shields could potentially be a gamechanger though.

Yes, I'm going down that rabbit hole :nerd:

Razgovory

The ability to fly into space and travel to different star systems must be worth something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017