News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 27, 2022, 08:20:51 PMI didn't look this up but did English exist in any form when Jesus was alive?

Depends on what any form includes.

Tamas

I apparently missed that a Springsteen Hyde Park concert was announced and tickets went on sale a week ago. All gone obviously. Although I could get to some semi-VIP spot for 800 pounds but I am not nearly that desperate.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 27, 2022, 08:20:51 PMI didn't look this up but did English exist in any form when Jesus was alive?

God and Jesus spoke English.  No one else until much later.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

He had to speak English, his Latin grammar was terrible.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2022, 07:34:46 AMHe had to speak English, his Latin grammar was terrible.

His Hebrew was worse.  He kept saying "smite" when he meant "smile."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Germans (ancient meaning of the word) existed for sure. And iirc its believed the languages had split by that time. Though they didn't really right and the old English speakers were hidden away in Denmark far from civilization so... Seems one that is impossible to know for sure.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on July 28, 2022, 10:17:07 AM

Germans (ancient meaning of the word) existed for sure. And iirc its believed the languages had split by that time. Though they didn't really right and the old English speakers were hidden away in Denmark far from civilization so... Seems one that is impossible to know for sure.

I don't think there is any basis to speak of an English language ignoring the French influence. I mean heck, if you compare written American English and English English, the latter looks like a French guy was trying to figure out how to write English words.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2022, 12:09:26 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 28, 2022, 10:17:07 AM

I don't think there is any basis to speak of an English language ignoring the French influence. I mean heck, if you compare written American English and English English, the latter looks like a French guy was trying to figure out how to write English words.

If American English is what we are talking about then yeah, it didn't exist until after the colonization of the Americas.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2022, 12:09:26 PMI don't think there is any basis to speak of an English language ignoring the French influence. I mean heck, if you compare written American English and English English, the latter looks like a French guy was trying to figure out how to write English words.
I think there's something to that. If you speak English now, then you can read Middle English with a little bit of a vocab crib. You need to learn different grammar and a fair bit of different vocabulary to read Old English.

The impact of the Norman conquest and then French language is really important in making English, English. I also think Norse is key - it gives really basic words in English - but it also shifts English from a language that's based on conjugation and compounds to one that's basically about word order. My understanding is that in part it's a simplification for both the Norse speakers and the Old English/Anglo-Saxon speakers - maybe a development that's a bit like trade languages like Indonesian or Swahili.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Fuck I feel old today.
Walking in Amsterdam I decide to go down the famous prostitute Street. It is a nice street I recall, ignoring the whores, and it's a nostalgic walk with uni at the top of the street.
It is the middle of the day... And zero prostitutes on duty.
I comment on this and a passing local says yeah, the girls don't like to be out during the day. I mention back when I lived here 15 years ago there were often many at all hours- local says but now everyone has camera phones.
True. It was a different age....

This does make me wonder whether the window thing is even really done that much even at night. After covid especially.
I mean, isn't it basically just tinder for prostitutes before there was actual tinder or I presume a prostitute only version which surely exists?
Has this gone the way of the flower  auction clock?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

You hang out in weird places.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2022, 12:11:52 PMIf American English is what we are talking about then yeah, it didn't exist until after the colonization of the Americas. work of Noah Webster.

He consciously created new spellings for "Frenchified" words like draft for draught, mold for mould, jail for gaol.  He'd have ben appalled, though, over the bizarre "aluminum" for "aluminium."  Ditto if someone had tried to push sodum or radum.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 28, 2022, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2022, 12:11:52 PMIf American English is what we are talking about then yeah, it didn't exist until after the colonization of the Americas. work of Noah Webster.

He consciously created new spellings for "Frenchified" words like draft for draught, mold for mould, jail for gaol.  He'd have ben appalled, though, over the bizarre "aluminum" for "aluminium."  Ditto if someone had tried to push sodum or radum.

Ah, so he is to blame for why you folks don't spell colour properly  :D

I didn't know that.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 28, 2022, 04:19:33 PMHe consciously created new spellings for "Frenchified" words like draft for draught, mold for mould, jail for gaol.  He'd have ben appalled, though, over the bizarre "aluminum" for "aluminium."  Ditto if someone had tried to push sodum or radum.

Sodum? That sounds so dumb.

PDH

I thought Webster used the "aluminum" spelling...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM