News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 18, 2022, 05:21:23 PMWhy do you copy a table of fake descriptions?
Not just fake, ancient fake.
And there's no reality :(
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2022, 06:59:39 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 18, 2022, 05:21:23 PMWhy do you copy a table of fake descriptions?

What's your point? That ancient sources are not very reliable? That's hardly ground breaking.

Syt

I find grumbler very reliable, on the whole.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

What are the ACCURATE descriptions?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 19, 2022, 02:42:24 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2022, 06:59:39 PM

What's your point? That ancient sources are not very reliable? That's hardly ground breaking.

I just found it cool this existed.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Well, ancient historians and chroniclers were creative and had a knack for storytelling, at the very least.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 19, 2022, 04:23:15 AMWell, ancient historians and chroniclers were creative and had a knack for storytelling, at the very least.  :lol:
Also didn't the Romans think Alexander was blond? So I wonder if describing an emperor as fair was linked to that - a bit like Pompey's quiff?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2022, 04:26:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 19, 2022, 04:23:15 AMWell, ancient historians and chroniclers were creative and had a knack for storytelling, at the very least.  :lol:
Also didn't the Romans think Alexander was blond? So I wonder if describing an emperor as fair was linked to that - a bit like Pompey's quiff?

I'm not really sure about that, this is the only thing I saw about it in Alexander's wiki page:

QuoteThe ancient historian Aelian (c. 175 – c. 235 AD), in his Varia Historia (12.14), describes Alexander's hair color as "ξανθὴν", that could mean yellowish, reddish or brownish.

Pompey did indeed copy Alexander's haircut for his official portraiture, yes.

Josquius

I also can't help but think when they say blonde they mean a Latino person's vision of blonde.
Ie. Anything less than the darkest of browns and you're blonde.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on July 19, 2022, 05:14:03 AMI also can't help but think when they say blonde they mean a Latino person's vision of blonde.
Ie. Anything less than the darkest of browns and you're blonde.

As I posted right above you, one of the Greek words they used for those descriptions can be translated as anything from blonde to brown.

celedhring

Herodotus is such an awesome read in that regard. One has to take into account that a lot of ancient history was written with a view to be recited in front of an audience, hence its perfomative nature. And that's before we get started with the propaganda angle.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2022, 05:47:01 AMOne has to take into account that a lot of ancient history was written with a view to be recited in front of an audience,

:huh: My regimental history recitals are some of the highlights of the Stockholm season.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████